Floral Christmas Gift

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

newbutkeen
KG Regular

Hi,

Lovely thought! My son broke up for the school holidays last Friday and we sent in boxes of seasonal fruit and veg plus some herbs in pots and half a dozen eggs from his and his Nan's free range hens for both his teacher and the teaching assistant. A bit more tricky at Christmas but with luck you could get new pots, carrots, salad leaves, cabbage, turnips, etc going on as well as herbs in pots and maybe a few preserves. I'm sure more experienced growers could come up with some excellent ideas for things you could plant now to harvest at that time.

Good luck!

NBK :)
Di
KG Regular

can i suggest you go down to the allotment and blag some courgettes from the many people who will be sick of the sight of them by now.

Make some courgette pickle in pretty jars(Recipe in a KGM back issue). It'll taste fab with the cold turkey on boxing day, and no one need ever know you didn't grow the courgettes.
Columbarius
KG Regular

"Blagged courgettes" that's cheating Di! But I am pickling my own gherkins (love 'em or hate 'em) and of course shallots.

I've spent this atrocious wet summer day pricking out the Cineraria (a flowering variety and C. Maritima - that silver leaf stuff) and some Coleus. If I can get them all together at the same time I think they would make an attractive basket.

I also sowed some parsley, basil, chives and coriander - and next week plan to get some late potatoes in, which Mr. Fothergill claims will be ready for Christmas.

I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile I'll add some photos if anyone can tell me how to do it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic