Floral Christmas Gift

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Columbarius
KG Regular

Look - its July already!

I'm thinking of growing a Christmas present for the couple that let me use their glasshouse. But I'm more of a veg. man and know nothing about flowers.

I have both the allotment and the glasshouse (unheated).

Do any of you clever people have any suggestions for something that I can grow (preferably from seed) between now & then for a couple that "have everything" but would appreciate the thought of something grown especially for them?

I'd really welcome your ideas.
Primrose
KG Regular

Am not terribly into growing flowers, but I wonder whether a really nice lined indoor container/basket of fresh herbs might be a nice thing to have.
Other things which are very popular around Christmas time are cyclamen. A nice mixed container of these would brighten up a room if you could grow them from the corms.
But if they let you use their glasshouse won't they see it growing, so possibly it wouldn't be a surprise ??
Beryl
KG Regular

How about a selection of home grown veggies from the allotment in a nice basket perhaps for their Christmas dinner.

Beryl.
Columbarius
KG Regular

I like the herb idea Primrose, though I'm don't know what I could have ready in late December (I'll have to get the book out).

Veggies, Beryl, possibly, but so far this year my allotment has been a disaster (apart from the strawberries) so I'm not sure what I'll have in the ground by then.

No need to worry about spoiling the surprise though. The glasshouse is not in their garden, & they rarely visit.
Chantal
KG Regular

If you're thinking about herbs, you may find some help on

www.madaboutherbs.co.uk

:D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
heyjude
KG Regular

Early hyacinths maybe? Not from seed, but if you get treated bulbs in about September they could be in flower for Christmas.

As with sweet peas, hyacinths seem to get bigger and brighter in colour and less powerfully scented so look out for a variety with a good smell.
John
KG Regular

A couple of plants to think about are Cineraria (not the silvery-leaf stuff) and Schizanthus. These are flowering annuals that are easily grown from seed in a cool greenhouse. A sowing around this time might give you flowering plants for Christmas but you'll need to look into it to see if you can get the timing and growing conditions right. T&M have a selection of these.

Others have made some good suggestions. Herbs like mint, chives and parsley grow well with the minimum of protection. I pot some up into 5in pots in the Autumn (parsley from a late sowing) and they are fine in my cold frame through the winter. DW is amazed that we can have fresh mint all the year round! Watch out for greenfly and whitefly which like to overwinter in them.

Prepared hyacinth bulbs will be in flower for Christmas but its not quite the same as growing your own stuff from seed.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

Some friends of mine once planted up a low plastic lined whicker basket with mixed herbs which they used to place in the middle of the dinner table, instead of flowers, when entertaining people to summer lunches or supper.

The idea was that guests could snip off leaves of different herbs to sprinkle onto their salads, potatoes, pasta, etc. It was a novel way of giving some people the chance to sample fresh herbs for the first time and see what they looked and tasted like. I've since copied the idea, but instead of planting a basket up, just snip off little bunches of mixed herbs and put them in a small vase or pot containing water.
Primrose
KG Regular

Whoops - sorry, must have pressed the Send button twice.
Chantal
KG Regular

Sorted Primrose :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
John
KG Regular

I've just found my old Min. of Ag. manual for pot plant growers. For Christmas plants they suggest a June sowing for Cineraria so you'll need to sow as soon as possible. Another plant mentioned in the book is Calceolaria which also needs a June sowing.
If you want to try these, let me know and I'll post up all the growing instructions from the manual.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
Columbarius
KG Regular

Thanks guys, an interesting selection of ideas. My other thought - having been to Hampton Court last week was mini-veg - seems to be very fashionable.

I'll research your ideas and let you know how it went ... next year!

Meanwhile John, I'd appreciate the tips from the good old Min. of Ag. - better than DEFRA run by the anti-farmer Benn any day.
Pottyaboutveg
KG Regular

How about a bag of christmas new potatoes for christmas dinner.

Potty
John
KG Regular

Hello Columbarius

Re:Cinerarias
Here is a summary of the main points from the manual. It was intended for commercial growers so I've picked out the bits that I hope will be of most use to you.

Choose a variety that has small leaves and a compact habit.
Seed for Nov – Dec production should be sown in May or June and for the March-April crop sowings during August to September will be early enough.
Seed should be sown thinly in trays of JIS: light covering only with compost and a temperature of 60°F is suitable.
It is desirable to prick off directly into final pots and important that seedlings do not stay too long in their tray otherwise will quickly become drawn.
For Christmas production 3½-in pots are suitable for for the spring 4-in pots are needed.
Use JIP1 compost and liquid feed rather than use a stronger compost as plants are sensitive to accumulations of soluble salts.
The plants should be grown on with as much ventilation as possible. The final spacing of 4-in pots is 1.3 pots per square foot of bench or border space. Ideally they are best grown on slatted staging.
During poor light conditions temperature should not be allowed to rise above 55-60°F.
Keep the plants growing steadily. A liquid feed with an NPK ratio 1:1:1 is suitable with a 1% solution of Epsom salts included as a safeguard against magnesium deficiency. If growth becomes excessive use a feed with lower nitrogen levels.
Greenfly is a major pest and routine spraying should be done. Powdery mildew can be a problem and should be controlled with a suitable spray.
Plants are ready when half the flowers are open.

Its a long time since I tried this crop but here are a couple of useful tips:

I used a multipurpose peat compost, not JI, and it worked well.
I didn't have slatted staging so I stood each pot on an empty upturned pot to get the extra ventilation needed. Again this worked but meant each pot has to be watered individually.
They are cool growing plants so as houseplants they are more suited to a porch or cool windowsill - they don't like central heating!

John
Columbarius
KG Regular

Thanks for your long post John. I got some in last week, I'll see if I can bring them on for Christmas. I'll try some baby veg. & herbs as a back-up. After all I can always give any excess to my lady wife!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic