Over wintering Runner Beans

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I was intrigued to see a comment in the October issue of KG (Page 59 under "Frosts") an inference that Runner Bean roots could be over-wintered if protected from frost and grown again next Spring as they are grown as a perennial in South America.

Does anybody know anything about this and even if it were possible in our climate, would an over wintered root produce any better a crop than a new bean grown from scratch?

I always leave my runner bean roots in the soil anyway and they do get slightly covered over during winter but I've never had any of them regrow and I imagine the roots would have to be dug up, potted on and stored in a frost free environment over winter to make regrowth possible. But is there any point?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

i've tried this, and there isn't any point. If there was, we'd all be doing it.

You don't need to store the roots in any special way, just dig them and put them under the bench in the greenhouse, or in a shed or garage like you would Dahlia tubers for the winter. Although the root's a tuber, it's quite a spindly one and I have found that over half of them in any given batch are rather wan. Use only stout tubers for storing. The next spring, bring them into growth by potting them up and giving water and warmth. They take some time to get going, by which time any grown from seed are already well advanced. Considering how easy and quick runner beans are to mature from seed, there's no discernible advantage.

What I am not certain about is whether over time they might accumulate viruses or other pathogens (wire worm or similar) if roots are saved to be grown from one year to the next.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Felix,
I tried saving and regrowing runner beans as an experiment and did so for several years using the same tubers. The results got worse as the tubers got larger as they would produce multi growths that produced very little by comparison with those grown fresh from seed each year.
It's another case where although it is possible it is best not to.
With regards to your last paragraph I am in complete and utter agreement. Why run the risk!
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

As you say, it is possible, but new plants from fresh seed grow much faster and seem stronger all round.

I tried lifting them and keeping them in pots indoors without success a few years ago. Then last year one I hadn't dug up outside surprised me by springing into growth and was about 8 feet long and growing happily away through the potato bed when I noticed it.

Last winter I dug four up and just one grew. I've left it in the pot, which isn't ideal, but it is a nice strong plant and very productive, although not as vigorous as the ones grown from seed. I'm going to bring it in and see if it survives another year just out of curiosity, but realistically, new plants from seed are a much better proposition.
bobgrif
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I was intrigued to see a comment in the October issue of KG (Page 59 under "Frosts") an inference that Runner Bean roots could be over-wintered if protected from frost and grown again next Spring as they are grown as a perennial in South America.

Hello Primrose, I left my runner bean roots in the soil last winter, and planted new seeds in the greenhouse, as usual. Just as they were ready for planting, the whole lot were eaten in the course of a couple of days by snails, so I went to prepare the bed for direct planting and found shoots emerging from last year's roots, so I left them to grow. I have had a really excellent crop of very tasty 'Scarlets', which have been yielding since late July, and are clearly intending to go on producing until the frosts come. I live in Swindon, where we do seem to have a neat ecoclimate of our own and never seem to get quite as extreme weather as general forecasts expect, less of all the bad stuff and, consequently, more of the good. I look forward to seeing how they do next year!
Last edited by peter on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct quote marking.
Primrose
KG Regular

That's interesting. i usually leave my runner bean roots in the soil whilst disposing of the rest od the haulms on the compost heap but have never had any regrowth. I grow my beans up single canes which allows me to alternate the location of climbing beans and tomatoes in the same border in alternate years, so if new bean shoots appear next year they will find themselves climbing up my tomato stakes.

We had a very.mild winter this past year , albeit it rather wet so maybe that was why your bean roots survived . I will certainly give it another try this autumn when I,m clearing the beans.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Also remember to put lots of slug pellets down as they can eat any new shoots off before you notice they are growing.
Johnboy
KG Regular

My only comment on this subject is to say that you should only grow a plant that you can rely on and runner beans as a perennial is a total
no-no to me.
When tried many moons ago they ended up as many headed monsters with a decidedly inferior return.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic