Cats

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Smurfy
KG Regular

I notice that a lot of people no here say they have cats.

we're getting our first cat on Saturday. She's going to be a house cat as she hates going outside. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for a first time cat owner.

Thanks

Smurfy
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Diane
KG Regular

How exciting. We have two cats at the moment .

I'd suggest getting a cat scratching post, or two, and encourage the cat to use the post, rather than the corner of your favourite sofa. You can do this by rubbing a little bit of catmint onto the scratching post.

You'll need a litter tray and I'd suggest getting an enclosed litter tray - much tidier than an open litter tray. They do seem to enjoy digging to Australia after using the open tray and the litter flies all over the place.

Feed - keep to the same feed that the cat is used to, when you first get her/him. Gradually change over to the catfood of your choice when the cat has settled in. We've always used Iams dry cat food and all our cats have lived to l8 - l9 years old. One was a fortnight away from his 20th birthday when he sadly passed away.

Visit the vet once a year for the usual jabs and check-up (the check on teeth and gums is important).. Get cat insurance too, to cover any big vet bills that may occur.

Get the cat used to being groomed...use a soft brush to start with and then get a regular cat grooming brush. This will prevent puss developing hairballs when trying to groom itself. Put the fur out into the garden, onto a bush or something, and the wild birds will come down and take it away for their nests.

Our cats sleep a lot (I think that's why they live so long) so give your cat a comfy cat bed - or three. Although, saying that, the puss will usually find her own favourite place in due time... normally your bed!

Enjoy your new pet....let us know how you get on. :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Smurfy. Cats are brilliant! Just remember that a cat owns you and not the other way around and you won't go far wrong. They are fascinating, frustrating, enigmatic,loving,and soooo intelligent. I have a fridge magnet which sums cats up. "THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOGS AND CATS--DOGS COME WHEN CALLED AND CATS TAKE A MESSAGE AND GET BACK TO YOU" I love 'em. Enjoy! cheers xx
Happy with my lot
bunuel
KG Regular

my favourite quote along those lines is that "In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."

My one piece of advice would be to have a treat bag that you can rattle to make the cat come running. I know that it is going to be an indoor cat, but you'd be surprised how often they disappear and you can't find them, no matter how hard you look around the house.

Secondly, if you buy any nice furniture or home decor don't get too attached. This way you won't get angry when it is inevitably broken or ruined :-)

Other than that, enjoy. I used to loathe cats and now I have two (thanks to my wife) that I love dearly.
A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins - Laurie Colwin

http://hundred-metre-diet.blogspot.com/
Smurfy
KG Regular

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. We picked her up this morning. She's currently hiding behind the washing machine but did come out when i put food in her bowl!!
Elaine
KG Regular

Ello Smurfy. Welcome to your new Puss! What sort of cat is she? Mine is a tortoiseshell/tabby/white semi longhair moggy. She is called Tibby and is 16 years old now-she has us firmly under her fluffy little paws! :lol: Cheers Elaine
Happy with my lot
Smurfy
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,

She's a 3 year old short haired tortie. She's called Sami (pronounced Sarmi) and is still hiding behind the washing machine although she did sniff my fingers earlier. She had a bad start in life though and the rescue centre said she would be shy to start with.

I'm hoping it wont be long before she starts to take over the house and put us firmly in our place :lol:
Elaine
KG Regular

Ello Smurfy. My cat was the same age as yours when I got her. She was "living rough" and used to live with neighbours who ill treated her. It took her quite a while for her to trust me. She would never walk into a room but would slink behind furniture and hide. The day she came and sat in front of me was a joy. A tip...when you talk to her. try not to look her in the eye as cats see this as a threat. A quick glance then shift your eyes away will make her feel more comfortable. I can reccomend some good books on cat behaviour if you would be interested? 13 years on and she still flinches if we move our feet quickly. Speaks volumes about her previous owners. :evil: She is a lovely natured cat and I love her to bits! Cheers, Elaine.
Happy with my lot
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elaine, theres not many things in life that make me angry, but cruelty to animals is certainly one of them.
It must seem like heaven to these animals when they find someone that will care for them properly.

Well done to anyone that takes on such a pet.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Smurfy
KG Regular

Elaine wrote:A tip...when you talk to her. try not to look her in the eye as cats see this as a threat. A quick glance then shift your eyes away will make her feel more comfortable. I can reccomend some good books on cat behaviour if you would be interested?

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for that tip, we don't see her very much and ussually she's just peeking out from behind the washing machine but i will apply it when i do see her. I know it will take time and suggestions for books would be a real help.

The main problem we've got at the moment is that we can't use the washing machine whilst she's behind it!

It's hard to think someone can have been that cruel to her to make her so nervous of humans it really makes me angry.
Elaine
KG Regular

Ello Smurfy. Patience will reward you! Re books; CATWATCHING by Desmond Morris also CATLORE by the same author are brilliant insights into cats. Another is THE CAT WHISPERER by Claire Bessant. You might find the monthly mag YOUR CAT of interest too. They all explain alot about cats behaviour and make fascinating reads! Really opens your eyes and dispells alot of daft myths. Anything I can do to help just yell! cheers Elaine
Happy with my lot
Smurfy
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for that. here's a picture of the new member of the family. She found her radiator bed today (the treats i'd hidden in it might have helped!), she obviously likes it as she's not moved from it since!!

Sami 2.JPG
Sami 2.JPG (19.19 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Elaine
KG Regular

Ello Smurfy. She is gorgeous! When I manage to work out how to post photos I'll submit one of Tibby. Glad Sami is making progress! cheers Elaine :)
Happy with my lot
Elaine
KG Regular

Ello Smurfy. How are you getting on with Sami. Would love a progress report. Hope you don't mind me asking! Cheers, Elaine.
Happy with my lot
Smurfy
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,

I don't mind you askind at all and thanks for remembering about us!

Sami is doing really well. she's turned into a real lap cat and loves all types of boxes and baskets (cardboard ones with holes cut in are her favourite!) and she still loves her radiator bed.

She also loves sitting on my knee whilst i work on the computer which is nice although she does occasionally like to assist me with the typing which can be a little frustrating but does lead to some interesting reports!!

The only problem now is that she's decided the corner of the leather sofa is a brilliant place to scratch on. She totally ignores the 2 scratching posts and the scratch mat that we bought her! If you have any suggestions about stopping her scratching they would be much appreciated.

How is Tibby doing? I trust she is still ruling the roost :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic