Melons Outdoors

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Hi

I am determined to suceed with melons outside and am thinking of getting
those cheap pop up greenhouses to cover & warm them a bit more. However these pop ups are quite small and will only cover the actual plant and the stems would have to crawl outside with the melons on them. Would this be OK or does the entire thing need covering?
I grew them in the greenhouse last year but in pots so couldn't keep up
water & feeding very well and they got frazzled and none ripened fully.
I have brought the ones recommended for UK and was going to plant them in a little hotbed.

Any advice appreciated.
Westi
Westi
snooky
KG Regular

Evening Westi,
I can"t give you advice on growing melons because I am going to try them myself this year for the first time.In fact,this years experiment.
I intend planting them in a compost heap in my third bin, reckon I can put two,maybe three plants in the bin which is 7 feet by 3feet.I will put a frame around,covered in polythene,rigged so that sides,front and back can be opened up for ventilation and pollination,although I suspect that this will have to be done by hand.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
Melons have quite an extensive root structure and in pots is probably doomed without being able to water sufficiently. Melons do very well in polytunnels but they do take up a fair amount of space. If you were to make a frame to cover with polythene that can be left with the ends open and then covered at night they will thrive under these conditions.
They are also very hungry feeders so Snooky has the right idea food wise.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Snooky & John Boy

Perhaps we can compare notes on success or otherwise.

I would love to put mine on the compost but it is outside the fence and the bunnies would enjoy too much that's why I thought of a hot bed. I decided to make something as pop up things are a no go - when measured out on the ground were too tiny.
I am trying Petit Gris De Rennes & Collecive Farm Woman and a Water Melon that someone gave me seeds of. It was Collective Farm Woman that I grew last year without success.

Fingers Crossed!
Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic