greenhouse and bubble wrap!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

kranser
KG Regular

Out and about today I noticed a greenhouse in someone's garden that had bubble wrap fixed up inside it (the same greenhouse didn't have that about a week ago).

Does anyone know A) What is the reason why this was done; and B) does it work?

Kranser.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Insulation for the colder months. Not having a GH, I've no idea if the extra warmth is worth the loss of light. Hopefully someone will soon advise.
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Kranser,
The oldtimers on the allotment line their sheds and greenhouses with bubblewrap to help draughtproof and frostproof their sheds and greenhouses so that overwintered plants have a better chance of surviving; and in most cases it works.So much so,the newcomers to the site are taking notice and copying the idea :D
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I have one third of my greenhouse covered in the thick celled bubble wrap and have a heater set just to keep the frost off in winter and all the tender plants go in there. The rest I just put bubble wrap round the sides and put wire cloch frames with fleece over them on the lettuces, Chinese greens, florence fennel, etc. in the greenhouse borders when it is frosty and take the fleece off when it's warm enough. This gives them sufficient light to keep ticking over through the winter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic