Preserving Onions

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

How excited am I - my first posting in the forum as a new fully fledged subscriber to KG.

This year I have harvested far more onions than usual so would be really grateful if I could have some tips on preserving them. So far they have been drying out and they no longer smell. What should I do with them now and how long can I expect them to last?

Thanks very much
Never under estimate the stomach size of a slug.....!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just a quicky to wish you a warm welcome Tiny Tuber, have got to fly as i'm just going back to work. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

Hello, thank you for the welcome, you all seem a really friendly bunch and I have learnt such a lot already by reading old discussions, particularly the one on slug elimination!

Thanks very much
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi TT and welcome :D

The method I use is to string up my onions. I tie one big onion onto a length of twine which I hang up from a ceiling hook. I then take the second onion and wind the dry top round the twine a couple times then hold the top around the twine whilst I do the same to the third, fourth onion etc etc. The weight of the top onion holds down the one beneath and so on. It's dead easy and very quick to make. When the string is as long, or as heavy as you want it, trim off all the tatty bits of onion tops and roots that are poking out and hang it somewhere for storage.

Only do this to onions that are completely dry and brown. Any with thick necks should be used asap. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

Hi there, that's great thank you, do they have be stored at a certain temperature or in the dark - how long do they usually keep?

thanks for the reply Karen
Chantal
KG Regular

I store mine somewhere darkish but not actually "in the dark" and cool. I know someone who hangs his outside his kitchen door in his car-port.

I can usually rely on stored onions until around March but they should be checked regularly and any that are going soft should be used immediately.

If I have a surplus of soft necked onions which need using up, I chop them up small, sweat them down in a saucepan and then bag and freeze. They don't look great but work well to add to casseroles and sauces. :D
Chantal

Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

That's great advice thank you. It seems such a shame to not to get the preserving right after all the hard work growing them in the garden. Judging by the article in KG regarding onions and blight etc I feel blessed to have such a lovely crop.

Thanks again :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tiny Tuber, i have to say that is excellent advice from Chantal as normal, but one little point i did pick up on, and that is where Chantal said the onions have to be completely dry and brown, i agree with the dry bit but they can also be RED. :twisted: :) :wink:

Sorry Chantal. :lol: :wink:

strawberry tart
KG Regular

Hello Tiny Tuber, I string them up, and keep them in a cool place (spare bedroom) garages are normally good, there are probably many ways to string an onion, mine differs from Chantel's (I think, unless she uses a double length of twine.)in so much as I use a loop of string much as this link http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Guides ... onions.htm
I also had a geniune french string of onions several years ago and this had a third string of bailing twine added (down the centre of the loop.) for extra strength i suppose, but ive never found this to be needed. Best of luck Strawberry Tart.
Tigger
KG Regular

I too string them up, as do others. Likely to last for 6 months or a little bit more.
Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

Hello everyone

thanks for all the really great advice on the onions - what a lovely friendly forum this is. I appreciate all the advice very much.

Thanks again Tiny Tubar ! :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tiny Tuber, this forum is a very friendly forum, :) thats until someone mentions the word, Organic, then i's not so pleasant. :twisted:

If you want a good laugh just click on a topic with the word Organic in it. :) :wink:
Just take it with a pinch of salt. :)

Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

OOOh, thanks for the tip, will not even mention the word.....

:?
Chantal
KG Regular

Believe me, he's right. In fact what's been said already is enough to kick off another "debate". :roll:
Chantal

Tiny Tubar
KG Regular

Flipping eck I will watch my step !

The picture on your profile - is that Rosie, isn't she cute, gorgeous pussy cat.

I have a little dog myself but not sure how to make the photo small enough size to fit it on my profile!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic