Briggs&Stratton Primer Bulb

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ferret
KG Regular

I wonder if anyone could advize?I have been offered a second hand mountfield rotary mower(1 year old and half price)but the primer bulb on the carb has been chewed by mice.it isn't punctured yet but is pretty damaged!!.Are they available as spares/hard to replace/do I have to buy a complete carb assembly/should I walk away?Many thanks in advance for any advice,Ferret.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
Primer bulbs were a fitment that replaced the old fashioned choke mechanism....they appeared after I left working in the mower world.

A colleague at my current work had a similar problem with a hungry mower mouse...it not only ate through a primer bulb but also had a chew on the rubber elbow of the crankcase breather pipe...

It is five or so years back but at that time I was able to buy and fit a replacement bulb...I can't remember just how it located.??...I think it could have had a plastic clip holding it in place. This was on a Briggs and Stratton engine....

On a Briggs and Stratton engine there should be engine numbers Model Type and Code stamped into tinwork somewhere..with these numbers a parts list and operators manual should be able to be downloaded from www.briggsandstratton.com
The parts list will show all items that are replaceable and their part numbers and thus should give the answer.

It may be best to take up to date advice from a local mower service agent...all will I'm sure have come across "mower mice". Arm yourself with all the mower and engine details before enquiring.

I once came across a mouses nest under the tin cowling of a B&S 11hp ride on mower engine..the mouse had chewed off all the insulation from the HT lead where it came out from under the flywheel...this had allowed him more room to build his nest...Shocking. :wink:

All the best,
Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic