does anyone know of a good book!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

deadlyart
KG Regular

I have recently erected a large polytunnel, and I am sure I have seen somewhere a book on what to grow in your polytunnel, but can I find it, no I can't can anyone suggest some good polytunnel publications please.

many thanks
jake howard sculptures
http://www.llamseven.com
Tigger
KG Regular

As far as I know, there is still only one book written specifically about tunnel tents. I've had at least 2 copies of it and can't put my hand on either one just now - which is a worry and will probably result in me getting a third copy, the day after which I'll find the other 2!

If my memory is in working order, it's written by a Mr Salt, possibly Graham Salt, but I don't know why I think that.

It's available in paper back and most good book shops and big garden centres have it.

I'll have a more thorough search later this evening and get back to you. :lol:
Angi
KG Regular

I think his name was Bernard Salt
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Jake

I think the book is called 'GARDENING UNDER PLASTIC'
(How to use Fleece,Films, Cloches and Polytunnels)
by Bernard Salt.

Barney[/img]
Tigger
KG Regular

They're right!!!

Must try harder............
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Jake,

Gardening under Plastic by Bernard Salt
ISBN 0-7134-8448-9

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Kevin :wink:
Allan
KG Regular

You have the right details about the book. For actual crops and when to sow/plant you might find Joy Larcom the most helpful. Generally a polytunnel will stretch the growing sesason about a month both ends of the year, almost anything that will grow outside will do better inside. The KG magazine is doing reasonably well now on telling you the crop timings.
Allan
Iain
KG Regular

Don't waste money on "The Polytunnel Companion"- the only book I ever binned! The Bernard Salt book is good but I believe there's a real need for another. If Joy Larkcom would write it I'd be first in the queue.

I.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Another good one is Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman - its american - but has a whole chapter on growing undercover (greehouses and tunnels). As well as undercover seasonal charts for when to sow & plant undercover. It is zoned by american climates but there's a helpfull European zone chart so you can easily define your own zone and most instructions are based on first frost and last frost dates which is very helpful when you have a microclimate as many will have.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Tigger
KG Regular

Sorry my French friend but I have to say how much I hate American gardening books, almost as much as my OH hates American woodwork books and as much as we both hate American cookery books.

Shall we start again...................
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
Hate is an awful word and one not in my vocabulary.
Hate is what causes wars. Sorry to be moralistic but I very much dislike the use of the word.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

One of the problems with gardening in general and polytunnel growing is that there comes a time when you outgrow all the publicly available information and have to make your way on your own. For instance rhubarb and watercress happen to be two of my most important crops in my polytunnels, no book will tell you that. If I ever see a book that purports to be all about polytunnels I won't buy it, it means all the information is relevent to polytunnels but not all there is to know about them, no such thing. Look around any bookshop at the number of variants of "The Complete Book of.,...". they can't all be right.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Didn't intend to start a war - :D
I agree with Allen Trial and error are the best guide and this forum. Very helpfull lot to learn on here.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Forgot to mention American book in question did much of its research about extending cropping season is France - which obviously appealed to me.
Franksmum
KG Regular

Bernard Salt was the rural studies teacher at my old school and a very, very good bloke. He died some years back is much missed back in the old town.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic