Climbing veg to replace beans

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

loznkate
KG Regular

Hi all,

Through a combination of bad planning, bad sowing and slugs in the greenhouse my pre-prepared bean framework will have a few spaces this year unless I can find something to go in it. I gave myself enough space for 6 runner & 6 french and I'll be lucky if I get half that in the ground.

I've been to a couple of g/centres to see if they have any seedlings but the two I found were tatty at best.

The ground was virgin at the beginning of last season and has only had onions and carrots in so far.

Any left field suggestions that will use the poles??

Loz
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Still plenty of time to sow more beans, I put in a second batch a few days ago.

Or you could put out an outdoor cucumber or climb a squash or two up with some additional support?

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
loznkate
KG Regular

Thanx for that. Two questions.

Can I sow beans straight into the soil or still try the greenhouse?

Also what are squashes like. I've never grown them and always thought they were like pumpkins etc and stayed close to ground. I fancy a go!

Thanx again.

Loz
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Planting direct is fine, allow more seed per pole though, one for the rot, one for the mice and one to grow!

Squash can be trained up structures, helpos reduce the ground space they hog. They dont climb of their own accord but you can tie them to the supports.

I grow butternup "Avalon" most years and it can yeild huge fruit that freeze very well indeed.

Jerry

jane E
KG Regular

Why aren't you sowing beans outside? The fruit set could be quite poor inside because of insect access. You can sow beans outside even in very early June and this year with the poor temperatures you would be better off leaving an outside sowing until the temps get better.Get round slugs by surrounding the little plants with bonfire ash. This goes for any little plants.I'd do a combination of everything. Sow in pots; sow outside 3 to a pole and see what happens. You can always send them several up a pole and freeze the beans when you get a glut!
richard p
KG Regular

u could try a boot sale at the weekend to look for bean plants.
fuchsia
KG Regular

I sowed my Beans outside 2 weeks ago and they are growing away now ,still not too late
Fuchsia xx
Allan
KG Regular

In my opinion runner beans ought to be outdoors for best results Late sowings possible to about mid-June.Cucumber, yes but why an outdoor one, surely indoor ones are better for the indoors. I believe melons are possible but never tried myself. except cantaloupe under cloches. Indeterminate tomatoes such as Sungold,Sweet Million etc. There are'climbing' strawberries but you have to tie them in all the way. If you arranged plastic pockets vertically you could grow a variety of subjects as in any container.
Another time you will find a normal broad bean will grow much taller indoors than outdoors for an early crop, too late now.
Allan
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Hmmmm...maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought the original question was structured around bean poles outside but starting the plants inside. As many people including myself do.

If the poles are inside I agree an "inside" cucumber would be better and agree beans outside give a far better yield.

If I am mistaken I apologise.

Jerry

loznkate
KG Regular

For clarity.......

Bean Poles are outside, started the beans inside in pots. Didn't realise you could start 'em so late and still get beans. Thanks for all the responses.

Still taken with the squash idea tho. Beans seem a bit boring. That said o/h's spicy runner bean relish is sublime!!

Gonna plant 3 to a pole for 4 poles and start a couple of squashes off and see what happens. Glad I had the problems now. You really do learn from your mistakes!

Thanks all.

Loz
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Loz

Will you persuade your OH to put his "sublime" spicy bean relish recipe in the Recipes Section? Please?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
loznkate
KG Regular

Chantal,

Only too happy! Although I had to type it out!

Loz
mazmezroz
KG Regular

How many beans are you planting to a pole, then? I have only planted one per pole, but it sounds like I could do more????
Chantal
KG Regular

I always plant two to a pole.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Chantal, I couldn't help noticing that your cat seems to have moved since I last saw the picture!
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic