new potatoes - then what?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

Hello, my earlies are almost ready now, and I'd like to try and stop the area where they are from filling up with weeds, as growing the spuds there has really helped to keep them down (area previously gone to weeds due to lack of time!) Can you please suggest soemthing to follow the potaoes with, as I've never managed to do this successfully yet, even after 13 years of growing!!
in anticipation, retropants! :) thankyooooooo!
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I have followed with all sorts if things such as leeks, late peas, salad crops (Lettuce, beetroot, etc.), etc.

A green manure might also be an option.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Ian F
KG Regular

I use the ground for my overwintering leeks, and for sucessional sowing of salad veg.

As Jerry says, if all else fails a green manure is better than letting the ground stand idle.
retropants
KG Regular

thankyou chaps, the green manure sounds like a good start!
John
KG Regular

I use the ground for growing next year's wallflowers.

John
mandylew
KG Regular

pumpkins?, lots of dense foliage, you could put some sweetcorn amongst them too. Wish my earlies were ready, too cold here, they have only just started to push through :(

Mandy
jane E
KG Regular

As soon as ground comes available fill it with something useful!! Pumpkins, squashes, leeks, french beans, brassicas, row of quick maturing carrots, beetroot - there are so many options! Don't leave it empty.I also mulch with lawn cuttings round some things such as corn to keep down the weeds and keep the hoe running through other ground.
retropants
KG Regular

for alll of those suggestions! pumpkins is also a great idea, something that can deal co-habiting with a bit of couch and bindweed when it becomes rampant! :wink:

a very grateful retropants! :D
Zena
KG Regular

Having read this thread earlier, I intended to grow some leeks in the space vacated by the early spuds. However, the seed packets I've read seem to suggest that it's too late to sow leeks - am I being dense or just looking at the wrong varieties?
sprout
KG Regular

I mostly sow leeks in late April in pots, so that seedlings are ready to go in to the spud patch about now.

Might you be able to pick some up from your local market? Here they sell them at 70p for a roll of a dozen or so in wet newspaper :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic