conifer shreddings, too acidic?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

stu_n
KG Regular

hi all,

i have a big conifer that is about to bite the dust, shading my veg plot and dont like them anyway.

i have a shredder too (the bosch one that was reviewded, is v fine), so will be shredding the smaller bit.

question, if i put these around my fruit bushes will it damamge them?

I imagine the shreddings will be fairly acidic (i may mean alkaline here, but you get the point), which may alter the soil. thinking of putting around redcurrants, blackcurrrants and gooseberries.

thanks for any thoughts.

stu
stu_n
KG Regular

by the way, i mean shredding the smaller branches, no green outer bits.

knew i;d forgotten something.

S
John
KG Regular

Hello Stu_n
I've had a lot of trouble in past trying to shred conifer stuff - the green and the wood. The resin in it clogs up the machine - might just be my type of machine though!
Its one of the few things that I still burn or put out in the green bin - makes a superb bonfire when its dry.

John
retropants
KG Regular

Hi Stu_n!

I think the shreddings will be good for blueberries, as they love an acid soil full of that sort of thing. We have mixed a load into the soil where we have planted ours , then put a really deep mulch of the shreddings around the plant. Can't tell if it's a success yet, as the plant is so small!

pants :)
Jennifer
KG Regular

Hi Stu_n,
Some years ago I had a book from the library about different sorts of mulches and compost. (Sad, I know). Conifers make quite an acidic compost and the book recommended it for strawbwerry beds. We have shredded a few conifers in the past and I tried mulching strawberries and it worked wonderfully. Only trouble is you end up with the bigger chunks of shredded branches sitting on top of the bed. But the strawberries thrived.

I left some to compost for a year too and that makes excellent mulches. Quite a few plants like a slightly acidic soil and I see no reason why this shouldn't be used in moderation for lots of different plants.

I wouldn't discard the green bits, there is a knack to making it go through my shredder (basically not too much at once and make sure that you have plenty of twiggy stuff to put through with it to prevent jamming).
Jennifer
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Stu,
Last year I felled 100+ Leylandii and I laid the brush in piles until the needles went brown and then I simply compost the needles that fall off the branches. I burn the rest or leave it to make kindling.I have always composted the green clippings by this method and when this question came up last year I did a PH test on some compost ready to use and it gave a reading of 6.3 on average which is fine. I know that my trees grow in soil covering limestone but that should make no difference. I compared it with cows manure and that was PH 6 and you wouldn't think twice to use that. I know that I have got the room to carry out such things and maybe you haven't.
What do you propose to do with the green? The green makes a very good soil improver when composted.
JB.
stu_n
KG Regular

i'm planning to shred it all up including green bits - up to size that will go through shredder, and chop the rest up for logs for my fire (given last winters fuel bill.....)

my only reason for not using outer green bits for mulch was that i thought it wouldnt look very nice (so mrs n tells me) - just thinking shredded wood a bit prettier than outer bits.

was plannign on putting outer bits on compost heap or in councils big compost wheelybin.

thanks for above, guess i will do as planned.

S
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Stu,
My only comment with putting fresh shreddings around existing plants is that as they biodegrades they are likely to deprive your plants of Nitrogen in the process.
Even wood shreddings should be composted before use
to prevent this happening.
JB.
stu_n
KG Regular

after extensive 'dpes it look rubbish' debate last night this swings balance.....

recyclign wheelybin it is

could take a few weeks

thanks

S
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic