However the crop this year has had some bulbs as big as I've ever managed (some a good 3.5 inches wide). The only other things to mention are:
- I experimented in using some sand in the soil around some of them - details here.
Johnboy asked me to report back and the results were...inconclusive! I got both big and small bulbs from plants which had grown in each type of soil.
However it's possible that in a wetter winter & spring, the sand might have made more of a difference.
- I ended up planting the cloves deeper than normal
Normally, the bulbs are poking out of the ground by the time I lift them, but this year they were all below the surface. It may be that this helped them survive the drier conditions
Below are some of the better ones. Hope the rest of you have had similar success with yours: