What can I plant under my Peas???

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

skinny_bum
KG Regular

Hi just going to put the 1st lot of peas out into their spot to grow on and then be eaten, any ideas as what I can grow under the peas, as I will be growing them up a wigwam shape and dont want to waste the space in the circle. Thanks
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Skinny_bum, it will have to something very quick growing, as the peas will soon be up the wigwam and it will be a job to reach in to harvest the crop.
So all i can suggest is maybe radish, rocket or maybe a mix of salad leaves.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Suzie
KG Regular

I would suggest salad leaves as well
Colin_M
KG Regular

Just "testing the water" here. As an alternative to something quick growing, is there anything that would take longer and then be usable after the peas have finished?

This may be a stupid question :oops: and I guess whatever it is would have to make do with whatever sunlight the growing peas let through.....
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Skinny_bum,
I would suggest to you that peas have to be picked from both sides so Wigwams are not really the best form of trellis. Peas are best grown in straight lines with access to both sides of the row.
I would also suggest that there are no plants that are suitable for their protection. Peas grow at a very rapid pace and it is too early to plant out such things as Lettuce and other salad forms because we are not out of the frost period and they are all tender plants.
I think that your peas will just have to run the gauntlet so to speak.
JB.
skinny_bum
KG Regular

Hi all thanks for the great ideas, Johnboy I take your point about then being in rows and so on everyones advise I am going to do a test, one row, and one wigwam with radish under it and see how things fair, down on the south coast things are warming up pretty well, other than rain!! but we have not had any frost for a while now, thats not to say that it wont still come, but you take your chances :wink:
Will let you know how things get on. x :D
Colin_M
KG Regular

This will probably get shot down in flames but maybe under one of your experimental wigwams, would it be worth sowing one or two parsnips?

Obviously getting parsnips to germinate isn't always easy so you might need to sow a few or start them off first. I was wondering if by the time the parsnips were starting to get big & bushy enough, maybe your peas would be coming to an end and once the tops were cut back, ready to leave their nitrogen nodules to the developiong parsnips?

No? Ok, "I'll get me coat"..... :oops:
Suzie
KG Regular

I don't see why not Colin - anything in gardening is worth a try :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic