Bumper Tomato crop

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Essexboy
KG Regular

How are othe people finding their Tomato crops under glass this year? I have a huge crop of the most enormous Tomatoes on the way. I don't know what I have done that is very different this year to other years. If anything I was a bit late with them, also due to being a bit short of compost, each plant got rather less in its pot than I would have liked. The variety by the way, is good old, safe old Alicante.
Essexboy.
retropants
KG Regular

Nope, mine are rubbish compared to the last 3 years or so! I've had loads of BER this year, don't know what is going on as I have molly coddled them equally to previous years crops!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The tomatoes in the greenhouse have produced very large fruits this year, much larger than usual in all varieties. I used Haxnix No 2 compost for a change, so it is probably that. I usually make up my own mix.

They have been slower to ripen though, but I did sow them later than usual to save electricity in the propagator. It is a really good crop now and I'm gathering bowl fulls every day.

I'm having to check carefully for any mold as it seems quite prevalent this year, but I'm keeping it in check by removing any as soon as I see it on leaves, flowers etc. so it doesn't get chance to spread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic