Unsolicited potato planter mystery

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

This morning I received in the mail a large green plastic bag, which when I opened it contained a pack of three plastic Haxnix potato planters which I had not ordered. I'm completely mystified as to where it has come from as there was no accompany message of explanation. I'm wondering whether this was a freebie for renewing my Kitchen Garden subscription recently? Can anybody throw any light on this? I don't remember sending off for "win a free one" either, but perhaps senile dementia has well and truly arrived??
Geoff
KG Regular

Does the double posting confirm the diagnosis?
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:This morning I received in the mail a large green plastic bag, which when I opened it contained a pack of three plastic Haxnix potato planters which I had not ordered. I'm completely mystified as to where it has come from as there was no accompany message of explanation. I'm wondering whether this was a freebie for renewing my Kitchen Garden subscription recently? Can anybody throw any light on this? I don't remember sending off for "win a free one" either, but perhaps senile dementia has well and truly arrived??

Hi Primrose,

It was offered in the May edition as a freebie if you subscribed. Senile dementia hasn't hit you yet :wink:

Cheers, PJ.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
JacquieB
KG Regular

I too have been perplexed by the receipt of potato planters without a message! At last an explanation - thank you!
Primrose
KG Regular

What I'm wondering now is "Is it too late to try growing some potatoes in it this year? And what is a good red skinned roasting variety to grow?

(Never really grown them before, apart from sticking a few old sprouting potatoes in my mature compost heap.)
Geoff
KG Regular

By the way, why are potato planters being supplied in threes?
Di
KG Regular

One to wear, one for spare and one in the wash.
Primrose
KG Regular

Don't know Geoff as I'm not a potato expert - possible either for growing three different varieties or for growing "earlies" and later types?
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, I didn't get any free potato bags but I bought three last spring and used them then and this year. They have been very useful in that I planted three early potatoes in each in early March, kept them in the (very slightly) heated greenhouse until it was safe to take them outside - which is easy with the two handles - and we are now harvesting them, long before our outdoor grown potatoes will be ready, not least because we've been able to water and feed them regularly. We have therefore only had to buy potatoes for one month last and this year.
Geoff
KG Regular

Revelation! Why didn't you say - I thought they were a form of bulb planter not a container, three now makes sense.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Geoff, i didn't have the heart to tell you. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic