Sulphur Candles?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Late I know, but difficult to get across the building site into my greenhouse and the portaloo across the door didn't help, anyway I lit a sulphur candle and it would not burn.

Any hints or tips?

It was a small paint tin style thing and the instructions said light the yellow touchpaper.
This I duely did once I had unearther the end of it from moungst the yellow lentils of sulphur.
The paper burnt down to the sulphur and went out. :evil:

Would inserting a taper candle in place of the touchpaper work, or would that just generate candlewax soot?

Hoping for advice a p***** off Peter.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Peter, not sure what to say, but it might be worth trying the candle, but i think it sounds as if you wil be buying a new one. :evil:

Hope you and your family are keeping well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
If you have a blowlamp with a small jet try using that. Over the years I have had the very same with various smokes and have always resolved the problem with my blowlamp. Once alight they sustain themselves.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I usually stick three or four matches in as a sort of wigwam then light them when that happens (about every other year, the wicks are useless).
peter
KG Regular

Hmm, begining to think I have a new Elf-n-Safety Sulphur candle, a non-flammable one.

Matches, burnt down to the sulphur and went out.

Blowtorch, everything went nice and rosy red, then when I retreated from the fumes the blue flame flickered and seemed to go out, I'll find out tomorrow how well it did. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

peter
KG Regular

Anyone want a nice solid lump of sulphur, a little charred on the top, complete and in nice protective tin? :evil: :roll: :shock:

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Peter, if it makes you feel any better, i used to have the same problem with fireworks.

And before anyone says it, no it wasn't trying to blow up the Houses of Parliment. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic