Best tv gardener......

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Who is the best TV gardener

Poll ended at Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Percy Thrower
No votes
Geoff Hamilton
88%
Alan Titchmarsh
13%

Total votes: 16
lizzie
KG Regular

Just a bit of fun this. I was watching an old Geoff Hamilton programme yesterday on the gardening channel and it brought back all kinds of good memories. He was the one who kindled an interest in gardening when I was younger, and made my mind up to get an allotment some day. It also reminded me of Percy Thrower and I remember sitting on my Dads knee and wondering how he made all those plants grow.

Who do you think gives the best advice, or show the greatest knowledge and is able to inbibe that knowledge to others?

So, have a vote and it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Beryl
KG Regular

This is a hard one Lizzie becsause I can remember dear old Arthur Billett at Clacks Farm and Geoffrey Smith was another very enthusiastic veggie gardener I loved watching and listening to.
But if I must choose .......
Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

None of the above.

Geoffrey Smith.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Gilly C
KG Regular

he lived near us at our last house and I did see him a few times at a local garden centre so I am happy with that but as he wasn't an option I voted for Geoff Hamilton !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, i have already voted for Geoff, but poor Percy hasn't had one vote yet.
I wondered if you would mind me having another vote, as i hate seeing anyone being left out.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

how about the chap who did the victorian kitchen garden, was it harry something? he at least was a full time gardener and was honest about what help he had in the garden and you could be sure he was imparting his own knowledge and not some titbit fed to by a team of researchers and script writers. :D
srry im not old enough to comment on percy thrower, ive never see one of his programmes, but somewhere ive got one or more of his books... among the 9 thousand or so weve got at the moment.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Richard, Harry Dodson was this true Gentlemans name, and what a gardener he was.

lizzie
KG Regular

Have to agree about Harry Dobson. What a gardener. His shows are still on UKTV gardens and I watch them now and again. A very knowledgable man. I tried to put him in the poll but it would only let me put in 3 options, unless i've done something wrong..

Have another vote if you want Herby.....I don't mind at all
Lots of love

Lizzie
Tel
KG Regular

Bill Sowerbutts.
Only interested in veg. growing - sorry!
Bren
KG Regular

Geoffrey Smith, He did a programme on an allotment in Manchester about 1974, he was good on question time on radio on Sunday afternoons as well.

Bren
Shallot Man
KG Regular

ARTHUR BILLETT

shallotman
Di
KG Regular

I don't remember Geoff Hamilton, or the other oldsters mentioned, but what about Bob Flowerdew - mildly irritating sometimes, but he does experiment and tries to build on knowledge rather than just repeating whats 'always been done'.

Can't bring myself to vote for Alan Titmarsh
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Di, you don't remember Geoff Hamilton, just how young are you. :) :wink:

Primrose
KG Regular

Was it Harry Dobson who did The Wartime Kitchen Garden or some similarly named programme about Digging for Victory with a lady who also demonstrated wartime rationing recipes in the Kitchen at the same time. I did enjoy that programme. I was only a very small child during the war but it did bring home how difficult it must have been for our mothers to feed us when food was rationed and you often had to find substitutes.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, as normal you are quite correct, if my mind serves me correct, her name was Ruth Mott and her frail little helper was Alison. :)

All of those programmes were very good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic