chilli king

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

strawberry tart
KG Regular

It could be the season for gardening pillocks,there are a few about..Strawberry Tart.
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

Is a gardening pillock a new tool ?

OR..........................

Mr C
Chillies make the heart grow fonder
strawberry tart
KG Regular

I think a gardening pillock is a prize tool.
any more thoughts on my 2nd bonsai question? Strawberry Tart.
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

No reply :evil:
Colin_M
KG Regular

ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES wrote:The best way to overwinter chillies is basically 'Bonsai' them

Not to contradict you, but I find that most of my chillies spend much of the winter either flowering or with lots of fruit on them (well the varieties I grow do anyway).

I wasn't sure if you meant just lopping roots off, or branches too? I'd be reluctant to do that and lose fruit/flowers. Also, I've never needed to.

What has worked quite well is taking cuttings from chillis in the Autumn which then seem to take off & be raring to go by the following spring. Again, this may just apply to the variety I've got (Trinidad Seasoning pepper).

Colin
Colin_M
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Radio 4 News.... & that well known gardening Pillock Don....talking about how to store seeds

Interesting interview this! In addition, I believe Monty also said you can save any seed you have - but surely seed from F1 plants might be a bit of a let down?

Colin
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

A quote from the fantastic book by Matt Simpson:

'The plants are given what i call a 'short, back and sides'. This is essentially a close trim. I remove all foliage as discolouration sets in as plants dump toxins into their leaves at the end of the year and extract any goodies that may have been stored'.

All capsicums are perennial sub-shrubs.

There is also the temptation to squeeze an extra harvest out of the plants, but the heat of the fruit may drop as heat is relative to the temperature the pods mature in.

Mr C
strawberry tart
KG Regular

not root pruning then?..Strawberry Tart.
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

I have done the above & have also pruned the roots before the 1st re-potting in spring and have had no problems, if anything it seems to encourage growth, but you do not 'hack off', only trim the 'older' looking roots. You still need to have 90% of the root system remaining.
Primrose
KG Regular

I did try to overwinter one Hungarian Wax chilli plant last year, pruning the plant back but not the roots & did manage to get it to flower again & produce 2 tiny chillis. But the whitefly got at it indoors, despite putting an anti-insect deterrent plastic "thingy" hanging on it. I always seem to have whitefly problems when over-wintering & don't know how to avoid them. This year I will try again, pruning the roots as well and changing as much compost as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic