Rose Hips - Recipe Please!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Hello, does anyone have a nice (easy) recipe for rose hip jelly or jam? Ive got an ambundance of beautiful red rosehips and reckon I could harvest enough for a small quantity. But I dont have a recipe.
My only prejudice is prejudice
Sue
KG Regular

I haven't actually made this, but it sounds like it could be rather tasty - alternatively got syrup & wine recipies if you want them.

4lb cooking apples - roughly chopped
8oz rosehips
3 pints water - enough to cover fruit
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Simmer fruit for 1 hour & strain juice through jelly bag (an old pillowcase also works well). This is best done overnight so the juice slowly drips - if you squeeze the bag, the jelly will be cloudy.

Add 1lb granulated sugar to each pint of juice and stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice. Bring to boil and test for set after 20 mins.

Sue :D
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Hi Sue thanks for recipe and tip on preventing clouding! I was going to use the cooking apples for (more) chutney but this sounds a better idea!

Anyone know if this recipe works using half sugar substitute? seems like a lot of sugar to me! but then jam recipes always do!
Sue
KG Regular

I've just seen a post on Readers Recipies as well by Chantal which will give an alternative recipie.

I think you'll do best to use pure sugar for either - it's not just the sweetness, it's the preserving effect of sugar that you need. Tell yourself it's soooo full of vitamin C it counteracts all the calories :wink:

Sue
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Yeah right!!!! I thought that might be the case with the sugar. You can by low sugar varieties of jam & jelly though! So how do they do it?

Trouble is stuff I buy I dont see how much sugar went in, If I made it I know!!!!!!
Sue
KG Regular

Probably best not to know as it's by the addition of E numbers or odd preservatives you've never heard of. You usually have to keep those sorts of jam in the fridge and eat them up pretty quick, so I guess you could try it with low-cal sugar if you were only making a jar or 2 :?

You should try making wine - it's horrendous how much sugar goes in and you suddenly realise how many calories your evening glass is costing you :shock: Luckily by the end of the bottle you don't care any more :wink:

Sue :lol:
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Girl after my own heart, at the end of the bottle dont care about much at all, especially if it IS homebrew!!!
Sue
KG Regular

The deadliest homebrew wine I ever made was rice & raisin - came out like Sake. After a glass or 2 of that you were flying :shock: :oops:

I'm having a go at the real hard stuff this year. Got the Sloe Gin on the go and am making Raspberry Vodka with some of our glut of Autumn Bliss.

You shove a couple of pounds of raspberries in a demijohn, cover with sugar and leave to ferment for 8 weeks. The juice all runs out within days and the jar is now mostly liquid. Then you strain it and dilute with 1 part vodka to 2 to 3 parts fermented rasp juice depending on your own taste. Just couldn't see any down side in that recipie :D

Sooooo - if my posts around Christmas are even more garbled and nonsense than usual you'll know why - hic :wink:

Sue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic