What is your very, very favourite book ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Deb P
KG Regular

I read David Niven's 'Go Slowly..., think I still have it somewhere, but can't remember being impressed by it, his attempt at a 'Hollywood romance/blockbuster'; I think in his case real life was much more fun/weird!!

Can't choose a single favorite book, I read avidly, and possess with my OH over 3000 books, he can't keep up with enough bookcases for them! Mostly bought 2nd hand (school fetes are a good source!)for pennies, and recycled if not very good for funraising at work.

If re-reading books is anything to go on, I do re-read 'The Edible Woman' (Margaret Atwood) every so often, was very impressed with that as a twenty-something many moons ago, still enjoy it today. The Jerry Cornelius novels by Michael Moorcock still make me laugh, and remind me of growing up in London. I'm obviously getting sentimental in my old age....... :wink:
submariner
KG Regular

Got to be Proud Waters. By a Welsh/American, Ewart Brookes who served in Mine Sweepers during WW2. A brilliant book about sweepers, and friendships. It is written so beautifully. I lent it to someone, who never returned it, but years later found it in a second hand book shop. No one borrows it now!
Love veg!
Myrkk
KG Regular

The Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan

or

Elizabeth H Boyers 5 books ........ The wizard Satchel, The Thrall and the Dragons Heart etc

Fav. gardening book .........

In Your Greenhouse by Percy Thrower
and
Growing Fruit and Vegetable by Martin T Hall...... both were given to me by my Grandfather before he died.
peter
KG Regular

Submariner, have you read "Relentless Pursuit" by Commander D.E.G.Wemyss?
Or from the other (your?) side the record of the E11 which I cannot find at the moment. The E11 submarine which penetrated the dardanelles straits to patrol the Sea of Marmara during WWI?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

I think the book that has had a lasting effect on me is "The Green Gauntlet" By R.F. Delderfield.
but the one I think I most enjoyd was "Far From The Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy.
JB.
submariner
KG Regular

I certainly have read relentless persuit, Peter. I do not think there is a book about Submarines that I haven't read. You are right,by the way. It was my side, a long time ago now. Or so it seems! Having said that. "Once a Submariner, always a Submariner"!
Love veg!
plot apprentice
KG Regular

Hi All

I'm obviously not as well read as some on this topic but each to their own as they say...!!!

Love my sport like i love my veg so it has to be lance armstrongs auto b. 'its not about the bike'.....if you think planting a seed in some soil and watching it turn into something you can eat is amazing read this sports fans.

On the plot front as a newcomer to this game, for sheer inspiration its gonna have to be the river cottage cookbook...thanks hugh..!!
submariner
KG Regular

Almost forgot. Calling all Fly Fishermen by Alan D'GLANVILLE. Complete with illustrations, very funny.
Circa 1946
Love veg!
Debbie digger
KG Regular

OLD!! O L D !! book from 1963 Huh!!!???

I was born in January of that year and I consider meself to be funky and wisened... with plenty still on the clock..Hunn!!

X Debs n co
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Debs, i'm even older than that and as fit as the proverbial butchers dog. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
SallyJ
KG Regular

My favourite book is Lord of the Rings. It is much much better than the film which really didn't capture the essence of the book at all. I've read it about 10 times - pure escapism at its best!
Sally Hayward
Basingstoke
http://www.garden-marketplace.co.uk
Chantal
KG Regular

Lord of the Rings is one of my favourites too; I've not seen the film and have no intention of seeing it as I don't want to spoil what my imagination made of the characters. 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
seedling
KG Regular

I`ve got to mention the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. Not in the literary category of some of your choices but they are very funny, have great characterisation and brilliant use of language.
Seedling :D
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Seedling

Where ya bin?
Lots of love

Lizzie
seedling
KG Regular

Hi Lizzy
Ive just come back from 2 weeks in Italy- very nice it was too :D . Unfortunately I now have a chest infection (so am on antibiotics) and back at work :( , which is why I`ve been quiet for so long. Hope your ear infection has cleared up.
Seedling
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic