Earthworms

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Just saw the strangest ?earthworm?, around 1inch long, white, about 1mm to 2mm diameter and SUPER fast moving. I’ve never seen anything like this, I struggled to catch it ‘cause it moved that fast, then lost it. I know there are different types of earthworm but is this a native wriggler or should I have tried harder to catch it and dispose of it.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m not sure, Myrkk, could it be a type of flatworm….might pay to google it and see if you can find a matching picture!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

I’ve googled to no avail OH. Did you know there is an earthworm society of Britain! Www.earthwormsoc.org.uk ? currently on their site having a wee search and have joined a facebook earthworm group too lol. Must admit to having a wee soft spot for our little wrigglers.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

No I didn't know there was such a thing, Myrrk…..I love earth worms too!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey who'd have known there was a society or a site! Hopefully they will have a 'contact us' page so you can get a definitive idea of what it is. There are so many bad things finding their way to the UK like the Asian Hornet & the New Zealand flatworm, no worry to us but the Hornet wipes out the bee hives & the Worms feed on our earthworms with potential to change our eco climate.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

I know Westi, it’s a worry. Sadly I don’t have a picture of it as I was too busy trying to catch it.
Myrkk
KG Regular

So the thought is it was the larval stage of a parasitic fly, stiletto fly and from the images it looks about right
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic