Mid Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

retropants wrote:your soil looks lovely and crumbly! good work, seeing as you say it is clay :)

There is still some sticky clay/dirt, it's now just burried in soil :lol: today I also found some time to mark paths around growing areas. The corner with the huge pile will be used for a small greenhouse later on.

20200107_161948.jpg
20200107_161948.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 2599 times
retropants
KG Regular

fabulous! just a wee caution, the soil will always be quite dry around the base of the two conifers, so don't plant anything too close to them. Personally, I'd remove them and plant some pretty climbers against the fence instead! (or maybe even a bean frame??) What direction are you facing?
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

Stay positive Monika. My thoughts are with you, I do hope all go's well
Elmigo
KG Regular

retropants wrote:the soil will ... the two conifers ... close to them.

The garden is on the south side of the building at full sunlight all day, the sun comes up on the left and goes down on the right.

I really love those two connifers! What do you consider too close?
retropants
KG Regular

If you like them, keep them! but I wouldn't plant anything within a foot of the widest part, the trees will steal all the moisture & nutrients.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Good point! Perhaps it needs more compost and fertilizer, or plants digged down with container.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Would moving the path in front of the conifers give you more growing space?
Primrose
KG Regular

Monika and Robo. Thinking of you both and the problems you are your families are facing.
Keeping busy helps but we all know how thoughts come to haunt you in the dark early hours. Enjoy the positive things while you can.
Primrose
KG Regular

Amazing progress Elmigo. Have you been toiling all night by torchlight ??
I think those fences would be great for tall vegetables like tomatoes and climbing beans which will thrive from being protected from the wind and not shade out other plants.

I do think the conifers will cause problems with soil dryness but If you love them everything may have to be a compromise planted around them, ie plants which are not too moisture hungry.

What is that hedge at the bottom of the garden? Is it staying? Could the conifers be replanted there to give you some privacy? If they are to be moved now would be the best time of year to do it.

Congratulations though. You've worked really hard and must be thrilled to see it all starting to come together. I'll bet though that it won,t be long before you're starting to wish you had more growing space. This kind of hobby can become addictive !

Are your fruit trees going to stay in pots or be planted out? I suspect they will grow bigger and taller if the roots have more freedom.
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, OH, robo, Muddyboot68, Elmigo and all, all your kind thoughts are really appreciated. We are all very much buoyed by the positive attitude by my grandson himself who has always maintained that what will be will be and he is going to make the most of the time he has left. He does a regular blog 'Zed's Blog - Walking with Sarcoma" which he films in his shed, often with his two-year-old lad.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:What is that hedge at the bottom of the garden? Is it staying? ... Are your fruit trees going to stay in pots or be planted out?

The hedge will be removed as soon as there is fence to replace it so it won't be there for long. I'm afraid if I plant the fruit trees and they grow large, they will shade the other plants too much.

As the soil around the conifers is likely a bit acidic it will be perfect for some blueberries and it may need an irrigation solution and a little more feeding.
Westi
KG Regular

Could get fruit trees in if you choose a step over variety.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

I've just bought and potted up a cordon cooking apple tree for my new, tiny plot at home.
Geoff
KG Regular

Why doesn't anybody make a cheap garden friendly waterproof jacket where the zip outlasts the material?
Primrose
KG Regular

The last time I checked out trying to replace a full length zip in an anorak, it would have cost more than the original item!, Maybe Geoff youshould have a prowl around your local charity shops where're you can sometimes pick up some suitable garments for wearing in the garden, although most men seem to hang onto their favourite clothing items util they're only fit for the Rag bin !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic