Not so Dwarf Runner Beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Glory B
KG Regular

The 'dwarf' runner bean plants that I planted in a container are as high as my normal runner beans - and still gowing strongly - in fact had to put longer canes in.
The labels clearly stated that they would grow to 2ft high.....so what has happened....is this a phen...phenom.....phenomenon! 8) ....or was I meant to pinch out growing tips or something? :oops:

Mind you can't say I'm complaining.

Glory B.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A lot sooner than i had expected, my dear Glory B.
Now let's see, some of the older dwarf varieties of runner beans, you did have to keep pinching back to keep bushy. But i thought the modern varieties did not require this treatment, if you do want more compact plants then you will have to pinch, but if not then just grow them on as normal.
If the plants are meant to be dwarf and you grow them as tall you might find the crop not as heavy as normal beans.
But knowing what a high standard you grow eveything to this might not be the case. :wink:

Kind regards the Old Herbal remedy.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
mike1964
KG Regular

Hi Glory B
The same thing has happened to me!
I'm growing Tendergreen Dwarf Bean in large pots, the packet states "No support is needed" yet they have grown so high they are flopping over!
Last year I grew Safari and had no problem! Compact and very productive. However I couldn't get Safari to germinate this year.
What is going on?
Glory B
KG Regular

My Dear Herbal Tonic.....yes you are correct, I do demand high standards horticulturally...and it would seem Mike does too. 8)
Just went down to measure both lots of beans and they are 5ft....the runners having the edge as lower buds have started to bloom. In fact I am now training them up the drain-pipe, (the step-ladder is on standby) as they've reached as far as they can go on canes.
Plenty of flower buds on dwarfs but not flowering yet.

I have been digging this afternoon trying to prepare the ground for the beans I grew myself from seed. They are growing rapidly too. Yes, I know I am all behind with this.....I'd better re-phrase that....yes, I know I should have done this preparation earlier in the year, but wasn't able to get round to it.
I have a dustbin full of homemade compost to be dug in tomorrow....hope to have them in situ by the weekend.

Best regards,
Glory B
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Glory B,
May I enquire what variety of 'Dwarf Runner Bean'
you are growing?
As OH says with the old varieties and especially 'Hammond Dwarf' you did have to keep them roughly in shape as every now and again they put up the odd shoot.
My friend grows Hestia and doesn't seem to have any difficulties or I don't think so. I will check with her on the morrow.
JB.
submariner
KG Regular

My "dwarf" beans do not seem to have growing points, however there are flower stalks around 6" tall. Strange thing though is that my "dwarf" broad beans are certainly not!
Love veg!
Glory B
KG Regular

Good morning to you Johnboy....yes I remember you saying about your neighbours dwarf runners and was going to ask you how hers were getting on. It will be interesting to hear.
The label just names them as Patio Dwarf Runner Beans. Apparently, according to label, they are bi-coloured, red + white and produce good quality beans over a long period.
As I said before I bought these by mistake thinking they were normal type....but am more than happy with them at the moment. :D

Best regards,
Glory B.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic