Salad Success

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Carole B.
KG Regular

Having read Sarah Raven's veg book I thought I would try salad in containers and the biggest success has been using wall baskets on the side of the house under a slight overhang.After the mini-daffs come out I usually fill with trailing geraniums but I lost them to the cold this year so in went some seedling lettuce,some hearting and some loose leaf,one called 'bronze arrowhead'from Real Seeds has been very good.
I keep sowing little and often so I have replacements to hand for topping up.
Are house walls an underated facility for veg growing?
What do you grow on yours?
Speedy
KG Regular

Sounds like a great idea Carole. At least slugs and snails won't be able to get to them. (unless they're related to Chris Bonnington) I grow mine in normal containers which are all on top of a large galvanized coal bunker. I've found that the dreaded slugs and snails won't climb the metal sides. Hole free lettuce!!! :D
peat
KG Regular

we always seem to have at least 2 or 3 snails 6 foot or higher on our walls.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Beccy
KG Regular

I've seen snails high in the branches of a friend's laburnam and trails at least twelve foot high, but I don't think slugs climb like that, so at least you should be safe from them.

We have very deep window sills, as the stone house walls are a good twenty inches deep and have found them perfect for semi-hardy seedlings and cuttings, inside to start then outside to harden off. I hadn't thought to put salad stuff there, it would be so handy, I'll give it a go. :)
Allan
KG Regular

I think you are right about snails and slugs not liking zinc i.e. gavanized metal. The usual repellant mentioned is copper. I am thinking of making a large bed slugproof and galvanized mesh is going to be cheaper than sheet metal. It's available in large rolls from the local petshop, sold for animal cages.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic