Flowers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hello

I thought a thread on flower photos could be fun too.
Here's one I took earlier. 2 types of Dahlias and some Cosmos from the garden. Everything is still blooming outside, so as the days get shorter i thought i would take some inside...

dahlias16oct16.jpg
dahlias16oct16.jpg (236.56 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Pawty
KG Regular

They look beautiful.

I'm not good with flowers but this year a sprinkled a bee mix in a patch of the allotment. Very pretty and the insects loved them so I'll do that again next year.

On the subject of flowers - 2 questions -

1) I have a small area in the back garden which is mostly in shade but really want it to be a flower bed. I put blue bell bulbs, daff's, Lilly of the valley and a few other things in there - so hopefully there'll be flowers in spring. In terms of summer flowers, I've struggled a bit. Wall flowers seem to do ok. Are there any other flowers which don't mind the shade?

2) Monty has started his sweet peas off already, so that he gets early flowers. Does anyone else start them this early and would the be ok in the cold frame one germinated?

Thanks

Pawty
Monika
KG Regular

Pawty, on your second question: sweet peas are hardy down to quite a few degrees of frost, but if it gets very cold, you might be best off to place straw mats over the cold frame or even several layers of newspapers, or fleece inside the frame.

I used to sow our sweet peas in autumn and keep them in the unheated greenhouse, but found that early spring-sown ones caught up with them, so I no longer bother and find there is very little difference as to their start of flowering, and certainly not in vigour.
retropants
KG Regular

Beautiful display all in white Oscar! :)
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks!
Yes white flowers - we are setting up a white flower bed so stay tuned (next year) for more white flower displays...
Have a good week everybody
Nature is simply amazing
Westi
KG Regular

Oscar that is beautiful!

It has made me think actually - I have dahlias in every colour (well several) but no white ones. They'd be perfect at home as I have a partly shaded spot at the end of the garden that I thought brights would light up but hasn't really worked but think white would shine through more!

What varieties are they Oscar?

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Oh thanks - pleased I inspired you! These dahlias are White Aster and Siberia. We got them on sale at the local garden centre this April and did not expect them to do anything,so we are in awe at their splendour. Some other bulbs we got did not do anything so it will be a surprise for next year - me hope... :wink:
Nature is simply amazing
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Pawty. My sweet peas have been started of, five to a pot. And have already been nipped of at the second leaf stage. They are around the back [east side ] of my small greenhouse out of any sun we might still have.
Geoff
KG Regular

Here are some shade loving notes https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=100
Although they aren't listed for shade I have Martagon Lillies in a shady spot that do well and look a bit exotic. Many so called shade lovers like Pulmonaria are a bit of a cheat, they are Spring flowers for before the shade is too dense, I guess you really want to brighten up Summer.
I think Spring sown Sweet Peas are much easier. Sown with some heat towards the end of February with me they are nicely ready when the weather is fit to plant them out and they grow away unchecked. I seem to have flowers before that man shows them on TV many miles South.
I'll make a note of those white Dahlia varieties, I abandoned the only one I had as it had very floppy stems. I guess the Cosmos are Purity - a wonderful cut flower, we have a row in the veg garden and a vase full in the lounge.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
yes you are correct, the cosmos are of the Purity kind - also courtesy of KG free seeds this year.

I had no idea what they would look like so planted them a bit tight... And now they look a little bit like (nice) triffids. here's a snap from this morning when I left home...
So lesson for next year (to me) - give them space!!!

cosmos.JPG
cosmos.JPG (726.05 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Nature is simply amazing
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A lovely photo indeed Oscar, sometimes less really is more, beautiful.....i have always loved Dahlias.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the link Geoff!

Some of those names make me feel like I'm reading a menu in a foreign language - yep it is foreign I know, but you don't actually ever see that in the seed catalogues - thankfully I say - but my flower advancement is in it's infancy! I do love them though, need those bee attractors!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Lovely display Oscar.
Talking of white flowers can anybody please identify these white flowers which I saw growing in a clump outside Leicester cathedral at the weekend. They looked like pretty little white stars shining in the sunlight. The tall stems had buds growing on them rather like miniature gladioli buds grow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (259.24 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Primrose,
schizostylis or cape lily a pale pink form, needs a dry sunny spot to perform well though.
Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've never seen one as pale as this. I have two colours but the wind and rain last week weren't too kind to them. They appear randomly in my garden so must self seed and Chilterns sell seeds so it might be worth popping back.

IMG_3705_R.jpg
IMG_3705_R.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
IMG_3704_R.jpg
IMG_3704_R.jpg (258.5 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic