Winter lettuce - when is too late?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

I sowed some Winter Density on 31 August. These were pricked out and later planted in the polytunnel early last month. They are growing on nicely and look ready for cutting before Christmas. At the same time - 7 October - I sowed some more as an experiment, to see how late I could push them. These are now pricked out and about 2 inches high. Will they grow on or am I pushing my luck? Winter Density are very hardy,
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

Alan, good luck with your lettuce. I always find it's the low level of light rather than temperature that holds things back this time of the year. And I have found in the past that, because the lettuce grows so slowly, it's quite tough and tastes bitter. So I now no longer grow any.
solway cropper
KG Regular

It won't do much now but come next spring it should be off to a flying start and give you an early crop. Once the days start to really lengthen around mid February you could give a high nitrogen boost to it and it shouldn't be too bitter and stringy.

In addition to the lettuce and salad leaves I'm growing micro-greens this year. Not sure how successful they'll be but at least it should be something to put in a sandwich.
Primrose
KG Regular

I don't know about Winter Density, but I sowed some endive somewhat later than you did in October and it's doing OK about 2" high under cloches. I suspect if we have a mild winter yours will just about tick over and as Solway suggests, it will take off quite quickly as soon as the light levels start to increase towards the end of February. I grow the endive rather than Winter Density lettuce because I find it hardier and when picked young, it has much less of a bitter taste than larger adult plants.

Just to really chance my luck I sowed a few more endive seeds in a pot under an individual cloche yesterday in a sunny sheltered spot outdoors yesterday but I suspect that really is chancing my luck (but I just like to continually experiment to see if I can catch Nature out occasionally).
alan refail
KG Regular

Just planted the lettuce out.Not a single loss from the 60 I pricked out last autumn :)
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
I used to grow a cash crop of Winter Density as a Christmas bonus and used to sow in modules the third week in August.
The reason I packed up was the last time I grew them The best price I could get for them was 6p each from a wholesaler! The previous year the price was 30p.
I took most of them to Leominster Market and set up an illegal stall and had almost sold out before I was about to be caught by the market superintendent. I saw him coming and melted away into the crowd leaving those unsold for anybody to take but I managed 75p each. I made £600.00. with out being prosecuted!
Foreign imports mean that it is no longer worth the bother.
But if you are a winter lettuce person Winter Density is a really good variety to grow and our sowing times are only about 14 days apart at most. Mine were grown entirely in a cold tunnel.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1326 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1326 (640x480).jpg (294.65 KiB) Viewed 3762 times

Well, the experiment did work. They survived the winter frosts and did take off, though rather late, when spring sunshine appeared. These are just a few of the ones I planted out in the tunnel; there are a lot more and we are eating them as fast as we can. And don't mention the chickweed! It's actually a good salad addition.
alan refail
KG Regular

I'm trying the experiment again this year, but pushing the limits. I sowed 10 days later than last year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic