raised beds what to grow

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JO,JO
KG Regular

hi i have had two raised beds installed in my garden(on the sunny side) and was wondering if you could give me any tips and advice of what would be the best type of veg to grow,if you have had a raving success with a specific plant.there is only me and my partner so a little would go along way.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening JO,JO, i don't use raised beds myself, but i would have thought any salad crops, climbing french beans, courgette, carrots and there are lots more, i'm sure someone else will help you out with some others.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Vecten
KG Regular

Anything that grows, will grow in a raised bed, and grow very well. Obviously some things need greater depth, such as parsnips, carrots etc. I have 6 small raised beds, 2 are 6 inches deep, 2 are 12 inches deep and the other 2 are 18 inches deep. It's a great way to grow veg.
Angi
KG Regular

Think about what you both like to eat. Most veg are easy to grow in raised beds, but obviously it isn't worth filling them up with stuff like onions or maincrop potatoes which will occupy your beds for most of the growing season and are cheap to buy. Think about veg that are expensive in the shops. Remember to sow little and often so that you don't end up with a glut. OH's suggestions are spot on. I would add tomatoes as a must-have.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic