Planting out sweet peas

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

I have some healthy-looking sweet peas which I sowed back in the autumn (October, I think). They have been overwintering in a little plastic 'greenhouse'. When will it be safe to plant them out and how should I prepare the site eg. should I use manure?
Geoff
KG Regular

I wouldn’t put them out yet awhile. My fussy way of growing soft fruit wasn’t well received but I’ll tell you how I grow Sweet Peas anyway!
I sow them in the propagator the first week in February in individual pots. As they germinate they move to a heated greenhouse, probably all getting there after about two weeks. As they grow they are pinched out to form 3 or 4 shoots. They move to the cold greenhouse about 14th March. As soon as it is fit I prepare a bed by digging in plenty of compost, I use 7 or 8 barrow loads to a 25’ x 2’ bed. I build a framework with a post at each end, a straining wire and double row of 8’ canes on 6” centres tied in place with binder twine about 3’ off the ground. The plants are put out inside the canes just after the middle of April and “ringed” to each cane. The whole structure is then wrapped to the height of the twine with fleece fastened to the twine with clothes pegs. I then tie in a few extra canes outside the fleece to hold it in place. The fleece stays in place usually until I need it to do exactly the same job for the Runner Beans at the end of May. The Sweet Peas are just getting above the 3’ fleece by this time. I have used the same piece of fleece for at least 6 years. Bear in mind my timing is for 600’ in Lancashire.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Jude wrote:I have some healthy-looking sweet peas which I sowed back in the autumn (October, I think). They have been overwintering in a little plastic 'greenhouse'. When will it be safe to plant them out and how should I prepare the site eg. should I use manure?

Wait a while yet. I pinch out the growing tip when the seedlings have 3 pairs of leaves. This stops them for a bit and encourages side shoots.

My November sown seeds get planted out late March/April here is Sussex but get fleece cover if a frost is forecast.

Lots of manure helps a good growth but I also sow more seeds in Feb to spread the season.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic