cats,dogs, foxes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

I am sure there is a cat, dog, or possibly a fox visiting my garden and leaving 'pre-compost presents' in the borders!

I make sure I remove the offending muck pronto, and have tried various methods to stop the animals returning: cutting bits of prickly hedge (name just escapes me!) and putting it on the border, little green gel crystals, orange peel, and even an anti-animal spray thing (won't harm them they just don't like the smell supposedly).

Any other ideas for what I can?
Reine de la cocina
peter
KG Regular

Sonic repeller as advertised in Sunday Papers etc.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Marge
KG Regular

will it cause problems for nextdoor's cat though? I don't want to frighten it.
Reine de la cocina
Tony Hague
KG Regular

The sort I have are triggered by a passive IR motion detector - so they will only bother a cat that passes in front of it.
Cats seem to prefer to avoid them, but not so much as to carry mental scars from the experience !

The ones I have have a number of drawbacks though. They are expensive. They cover a limited area, so unless you spend a small fortune or only have a tiny garden, the cats find another spot to go. The fresnel lens on the IR detector is affected by condensation in cold weather, stopping it working. The lens also gets brittle after a year or two of sunshine and breaks. If you power it from batteries, it doesn't work well in cold weather.

I was considering planting catnep in the bottom of a spike pit instead (only joking ...)
idigyourgarden
KG Regular

Make a briar fence. It's even easier than making a fence for slugs, which involves snedding the sides off the briars. Just stack them up. I'll post a picture later.
josie
KG Regular

Hi marge,I'm new to this site. We have a fox problem like your's,as Peter suggested we installed these detectors and although it's taken a couple of weeks they seem to be working.No more poo's thank god.
Hope this helps. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic