Outdoor Grape Varieties

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

DiG
KG Regular

I will soon hopefully have the ideal south facing wall on which to grow a grapevine or two. Has anyone any experience of the seedless varieties "Lakemont ' and 'Flame' ? They seem to be recommended, in the catalogues, as well flavoured dessert grapes for outdoor growing but there is nothing like hearing from people who have actually grown them.

Can anyone recommend any other seedless dessert varieties that I could try?

Regards, Diane
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I inherited an old vine Diane, and have no idea what variety it is, the grapes are sweet rich and dark, they used to plant them with half a dead sheep under them, so I guess they are heavy feeders, so prepare the planting hole well :) Half of mine grows outside and I feed a couple of leaders into the greenhouse too, so I get an early crop under glass and a later crop outside from the same vine. Different grapes crop early, mid season or late, if you pick a late maturing one and we get a poor summer they might not ripen. Variety depends a lot on choice, I like an aromatic muscat flavour so if buying one would probably choose something earlyish with that sort of taste.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

I am growing Lakemont. Very vigorous grower, needs lots of strong support. Delicious sweet grapes, heavy cropper needs lots of thining.
I grow it on my allotment and it withstood all last winters bad weather.

Beryl.
Attachments
grapes -2.jpg
grapes -2.jpg (21.47 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Beryl
KG Regular

This might be a better photo.

Beryl.
Attachments
IMG_0277 -grapes.jpg
IMG_0277 -grapes.jpg (85.49 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought a Flame seedless grape two years ago. It is in a large pot in the greenhouse and so far it hasn't even tried to produce any flowers never mind grapes. It seems a bit weak compared to my other varieties.

I do have two outdoor ones Madeleine Angevine which are very productive, strong plants and they are sweet tasting and also make good wine (if I can keep the wasps off them).

My favourites are Pink Chasselas, one planted in the greenhouse, but with its roots outside and one grown as a standard in a pot. These both taste lovely and produce a very nice pink sparkling wine.
DiG
KG Regular

Thank you ladies for your replies and photos. All very helpful. I have made a note of all the varieties mentioned for future reference. The area hasn't been cleared yet and there is some construction work to do before I can consider planting - hopefully next year.

Diane.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Diane, good luck with your new vines. Another consideration is air circulation, I find allowing a good circulation of air in the greenhouse prevents any mould problems, we are eating our grapes now and the leaves are still perfect for stuffed vine leaves, thinning the leaves helps ripening too. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
yummyveggies
KG Regular

Hi Diane, other seedless varieties good for for outside ... Himrod - a white seedless (fruits best when using cane replacement rather than spur pruning) ... this is true of a lot of the seedless varieties both inside and out. Suffolk - a pink seedless - with a good flavour. Lakemont is a good choice - but Flame is really better off inside as it is quite disease prone and relatively tender - although does ripen outside. cheers, yummyveggies
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic