Spark plug caps

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Having a little trouble getting a suitable spark plug cap for one of my rotovators. It is not the size of the hole the top of the plug fits in, its the size of the hole the wire goes in. :?

The ones my local mower shop can get are too small in the hole department and I do not want to rewire.

The problem is the insulation has broken down, so the spark is too weak.

So I have two rotovators Kohler K-series engined with one working HT connection. :(

Any suggestions, appreciated, especially from Clive. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Peter,
When I worked in the mower world I do not recall replacing very many spark plug caps..except on the older Suffolk engines that suffered badly from the supressor clips getting broken or the carbon rod inside geting broken..or lost.!! These Qualcast/Suffolk/Atco engines were generally the main types at that time that used the thinner section HT lead.
If we did replace any we tried to fit original manufacturers types as then these tended to fit the application best. We did carry a couple of general purpose types, one which was a type in which a spike pierced the HT lead and then the hard rubber cover held this in place and another that was a screw on type..but I was not a great fan of either of these and much prefered original spec' items.

I have to say I know next to nothing about Kohler types....and have had a quiet ponder and can recall only ever working on 5 Kohlers engines..!!

However...I have come up with this link;...
http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/pric ... g_caps.htm

Do check also that all is well with all parts invloved with spark production..

All the best,
Clive.
richard p
KG Regular

would one from a car fit? or perhaps make a loop on the end of the lead that will fit under the little nut ontop of the plug?
pockets
KG Regular

I have new plug caps & new lead if u need any?.
George.
landie57
KG Regular

Peter, many older engines did not have a plug cap as such, just a simple brass tag on the end of the HT lead which was held on the plug by a nut. This could provide a solution, although any suppression would be lost. Independant Ignition Supplies stock the parts, not cheap though. Good luck.
pockets
KG Regular

landie57 wrote:Peter, many older engines did not have a plug cap as such, just a simple brass tag on the end of the HT lead which was held on the plug by a nut. This could provide a solution, although any suppression would be lost. Independant Ignition Supplies stock the parts, not cheap though. Good luck.
I have those parts much cheaper.
see my website. george shead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic