JCB Rotovator

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

I have been offered a rotovator (to buy) by somebody whose father has to give up his allotment for health reasons. I haven't seen it but it is just over two years old and is a JCB brand but I don't have a model name. I can't find any of this brand advertised. He thinks it has a Tecumseh engine. Does anybody know anything about these? Are they discontinued or the same as another brand?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Geoff, theres a brand new one for sale on Ebay,
it's a JCB C35A with a Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine. I think JCB are putting there name on lots of different tools now.
Hope this helps a little.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

theve been selling power tools and lawn mowers for several years, i would think they are all bought in. either they are someone elses design rebadged or jcb designed manufactured elsewhere. whichever way theyve done it they have a premium brand image in the construction machinary field which they would be loath to tarnish with crap products in other sectors.
Allan
KG Regular

We bought a JCB electric hover motor at a discounted price, looks well made but it is not good at picking up the grass cuttings. Maybe it would work better on a smoother lawn.
Allan
Geoff
KG Regular

I've now found out it is a JCB-C35 4-stroke cultivator with a Tecumseh Prisma 37 3½ hp engine.
No cultivators in JCB range now - anybody recognise what this might be a rebadge of to see if it is worth £200.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Geoff,

No longer being in the mower world I have long lost track of who really makes this and badges that etc,etc....I used to enjoy this challenge as often if you could get past a few badges sometimes spares might be cheaper..it could also work the other way too sometimes.!!

I seem to recognise the chassis style with the plastic wingnuts at the handle join....a brand name of MEP?? or similar somehow comes to mind...but can't get any further with that idea.!!..perhaps I'm wrong here :?

However having looked at this link;

http://www.albaplc.com/PDF/IB%20PDF%20f ... 35-Web.pdf

And then this one;
http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/pages/p ... uct394.htm

I think you may spot the similarity..and note the price at new, with a B&S engine, of £265. (although it seems to depict a Honda!!).

Elsewhere in my search I did note a 2002 link that seemed to suggest £299 new at that time for the Tecumseh engined C35...

All the best,
Clive.
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for that Clive.

I think you are implying £200 secondhand is expensive when you can get a B&S powered device new for a bit more.

I wonder how these machines compare with the Mantis everybody raves about - they seem a lot cheaper than the 4-stroke in particular.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Geoff,

Yes, that is more or less my thoughts...it does seem a fraction too near to the similar new machines price.???..as the 2 tillers in the posted links do look mighty similar.??..

I have no experience of this models ability or of current thoughts on which is best of B&S or Tecumseh.

Often I have set myself a s/h buying guide of about a 3rd of price new....and then adjusted relative to condition and its true worth to me...but as in this case when a machine has been bought recently and is having to be sold on due to failing health it makes it particularly difficult to price.

All the best,
Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic