GYO closing down in June?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Just been on the FB growing sites & someone mentioned the competition is folding in June? (GYO). I'm sure KG is aware of this if true but thought an opportunity for a review what went wrong with GYO, that's our review as well btw!

What would you guys suggest to improve (besides more members)?
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Westi, do you mean GYO forum is finishing?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

It was a random answer to a question about getting free seeds off the mags so I assumed it was the mag, but stands to reason forum would be redundant as well. I have googled it & found it under 'DC Thomson announces magazine closures & job cuts'. I am hugely surprised as growing is right in vogue at the moment.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That is a surprise, Westi….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I used to be a moderator on the forum, sadly there was all sorts of problems so I resigned and never went back.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I guess we could be a bit more active posting, but I sort of feel like I'm taking over, so don't post every day, once I get my operation done and there's more growing and sowing going on, I will try to increase the content a bit.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

https://www.betterretailing.com/industr ... -uk-sites/

"...
The full list of Aceville titles to be closed is: Crafts Beautiful, Great British Food, Grow Your Own, PaperCrafter, Let’s Get Crafting!, Let’s Knit!, Natural Health, Period Ideas, Sew, Soul & Spirit, Veggie, What Franchise, Health & Wellbeing, Craft Business, Global Franchise, Retail Packaging, Speciality Food, SVI, Teach Primary, Teach Early Years and Teach Secondary.
....."
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Stravaig
KG Regular

What the heck is "Period Ideas"? Maybe something for menstruating women or something about old furniture or what? :shock:
Westi
KG Regular

Looking at that list I would think GYO was the only mag available in most news agents & supermarkets to support the rest. I think I may have seen Just Knit somewhere but that's about it.
Westi
Jo90
KG Regular

I used to get GYO, but that was a long time ago, visions of growing and eating my own produce. Lol, did not manage it though, I had a really small garden and only a small plastic grow house.

Just subscribed to KG because we have moved, have a bigger Bardeen and have made a separate area for veggies and fruit. Have a greenhouse now and really looking forward to my new hobby now that I have more time and room.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic