A friend for my plum tree

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

rachelmarj
KG Regular

I'm renting a rural lodge and struggling with three small children and a large vegetable garden. When we moved here I saw a plum tree advertised with two types of plum grafted onto one trunk. I bought it but months later instead of one tree I was sent two individuals. I planted both (as the garden is so big) but only one has survived. Sadly it's never had plums (3 years) and it clearly wants a friend. I now have no idea what type it is and I can't go on planting trees indefinitely so what do I get now? A self-fertile (will that help my lonely tree with the guarantee of plums anyway) or a regular tree? Does it matter if they are the same type? What are my tree's requirements for it to bear fruit?
Look forward to hearing from someone.
Rachel.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Being as you have no idea of the variety of the remaining tree I should go for a self fertile plum and hope the blossom may pollinate the original tree,at least that way you'll get some fruit. Two trees of the same variety will not pollinate each other and the original one is not self fertile or you would have had some fruit by now.The other thing to consider is if you have planted in a frost pocket the blossom may be getting killed off by cold each year and have nothing to do with pollination.
rachelmarj
KG Regular

Thank you for your help. Coincidentally I've just been sent some catalogues including Highfield Nurseries and Dobies fruit and veg. I've gone a bit mad and bought a Damson Merryweather (to be friends with existing plum, possibly Victoria) plus plan to get a cherry tree and a 'family' apple tree with three varieties grafted together. Thanks again for your assistance!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic