CHILLI TIME

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

I have now been growing Chillis for a few years now with an ever increasing amount of varieties (this year twenty eight). Does anyone have any 'out of the ordinary' recipies that they do with chillies. Now that they seem to be coming the 'Trend' i'm finding that its time for a change from the usual 'sambal', 'Harissa' etc etc. I'm always up for suggestions and giving advice if needed.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

We do a very very simple and quick pasta dish.

Slug of good olive oil in a pan and add a few chopped cloves of garlic and enough chopped chillies to suit your taste. Cook this for 3 or 4 minutes and then add 3 or 4 chopped tomatoes and some dried toms. Cook until the toms are cooked and then serve over spaghetti with lots of parmesan cheese.

I like it fairly hot so use 3 or 4 whole chillies but that depends on the variety used.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Mr Chilli,

I am growing 10 varieties, 4 sweet and 6 hot little beauties.

Are tepin a pain to germinate, they have been in for 4 weeks and even the halapeno have snuck up in the meantime.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

Hi Pigletwillie,

In simple terms YES. They are the hardest (to my knowledge) to germinate. Only 25% of mine germinated L/Y, another problem that I find with this variety is that they have a tendancy to bolt if you try to plant them too early, as you have too keep them indoors until at least the start of June (thats if you are intending to 'put them to soil'. If intending an indoor crop, keep nipping out the tops to make them bushy, as Tepins tend to be a one stem wonder, these are tremendous croppers, the Chillies only being the size of a small fingernail, and they are also an acquired taste. If like me you are able to 'take the heat' you will find that they are quite sweet to start but finish with citrus undertones (god, I sound like Oz Clarke).

Ciao

Mr Chilli :twisted:
Chillies make the heart grow fonder
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Mr Chilli

I've been toying with growing a variety called The Bangalore Torpedo. I really liked the name so thought i'd give it a bash.

What's your take on this one. Have you grown it at all? Also, what's your favourite chilli?

It's like the Spanish Iquisition this.

And now for something completely different...... :evil:
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Rod,

you must have the constitution of an ox, those tepins are supposed to be nuclear tipped, thanks for the tips.
Kindest regards Piglet

ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie,
I'm afraid that I have never tried to grow Chillies from the Indian Sub-continent, but I am assured that they are a hotter version of the Hungarian Hot Wax, which is one of my staples. All of my Chillies Are from North/South America, with the exception of THAI DRAGON, which is a small little beast that packs a punch (the ones you see in all the TV shows when they do the Thai thing, usually badly) . This year I am trialling 3 Varieties from the Peruvian hills, no suppliers have these, so I guess i'm lucky, fingers and other bits crossed for a good harvest.
My favourite Chilli.....................mmmmm thats a tough one to call. I adore Cherry Bombs when they have been flame grilled with a blow torch, then again I'm insanly mad abour PADRONS (you may know these as Russian Roulette Chillies). I've only been able to find these at Borough Market in London, fantastic little things, Heat Olive Oil in a pan and throw them in, let them sizzle until the skin starts to wrinkle, take them out and drain and sprinkle with sea salt.They are a very mild chilli......until BANG one in 10 of the little blighters expolde the fangs of Satan down your throat, and you never know which one its going to be.
You may have seen them in Tapas Bars in Spain.
I have recently found the seeds for these at seedsofitaly, so i'm already planning a bed for these.
If your doing Chillies this year, get them in asap, in a propagator.

Ciao for now
lizzie
KG Regular

My sister in law is Peruvian. I'll ask her about the chillis there if you like. She might not know much cos she's not a gardener.
Lots of love

Lizzie
ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

Hi Pigletwillie,
For information, my HOT TEPIN have just started to germinate. They were planted on 12 Feb in compost, placed in a propagator and put near the radiator.

mmmmm I know a little ditty about that.

Radi was a circus lion
Radi was a woman eater
Radi had a lady trainer
Radiator !

Sorry about that one ladies.

pigletwillie
KG Regular

no movement on mine yet, patence is a virtue is suppose.
Kindest regards Piglet

Sue
KG Regular

Hello Mr Chilli - this is a Jamie Oliver recipie that one of my mates made and is mighty fine.

1kg round bell shaped chillies
Olive oil to cover
1 handful parsley or basil
2 handfuls rocket
1 small handful capers - rinsed and dried off
1 tin anchovies
10 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper

1/2 the chillies, remove seeds, wash and drain.
Pack into a dish and cover with the oil then put in oven at 170 c\325 f\gas 3 for 35-45 mins until tender. Leave to cool.
Fish out the chillies and keep the oil which is now chilli flavoured.
Chop the herbs, rocket, capers and anchovies & mix up. Add the vinegar and seasoning and stuff the filling into the chillies.

The recipie says makes enough for 10 but depends how much you like chillies. My mate served them up at a barbie last summer and they went down very fast amongst 6 of us - but we are all greedy sods :D

Sue
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I rather like Hungarian Wax stuffed with Halloumi and barbequed.

I'm fond of "facing heaven" chillies for drying/powdering. I've got a brilliant red Habanero too, which originally came from saved seed of a chilli from a West Indian grocers, which I've been growing/saving for thirteen years now - it makes great hot sauce.

Favourite book: "Cooking with Chillies" by Meg Jump.

Tony.
Silverfox
KG Regular

I love to make Chilli Ketchup when I have no other use for everything I have grown.

1lb of tomato's (I always take the seeds out and keep them for next year)
4 - 8 chilli (make it as hot as you want)
1 cup of cider vinegar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tbs of garlic salt
2 tbs of white sugar

Add everything to a pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 mins with a lid on. Simmer for another 5 - 10 mins with lid off. Blitz with a food process. allow to cool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic