hanging baskets

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

Has anyone dared to put out a hanging basket yet? I live in south Dorset - and I'm thinking of hanging one up tonight - on the bracket by the kitchen door (it's sheltered there) in case I have to nip out quick and take it in if the weather man forecasts frosts. The greenhouse is so full of tubs and baskets - it's becoming a bit hazardous.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Chantal
KG Regular

It's awfully early to leave them out overnight. I sometimes do mine in April/May and then hang them in the greenhouses at night but it's an awful fag (I've not bothered this year and no room anyway). There's a ground frost forecast in the Midlands tonight; I know you're a lot further south west but I wouldn't risk it myself.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Put most of mine together today, they went out for a few hours but are back under cover now as there is a chance of a frost, temps down to 3 degrees celcius.

Just back from the plot having earthed up the spuds and fleeced a few toms that are in the poly house.......bit early! Eeeek!

Though by Thursday it is meant to be 24 degrees here in Sussex!!!

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
PT
KG Regular

Suppose it depends what you've got in them. We've had one out for about 6 weeks with strawberries in. A bit of flees doubled up and draped over the basket I find dose the trick, saves humping them in if frost threatens. A frost is forecast for Surrey tonight.
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
fuchsia
KG Regular

I usually start to harden mine off now but havent even planted them up its been so cold this year
Fuchsia :(
jopsy
KG Regular

what have you all got in yours?
mine are in the potting shed with seedlings in at the mo'

i was thinking of doing a strawberry one too
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Jopsey, Hi all.

My plants are all hardened off but baskets not planted yet. I've got 2 upright fucshias in purples and pinks, trailing geraniums, ivy, trailing busies in white, yellow and pink and a few other bits and bobs. Got some mini roses too.

I might plant mine up at the lottie over the next few days and leave them up there until mid-end of May.

I didn't do any last year and my neighbour opposite was upset cos she likes looking out of the window at the flowers I have. She's housebound and it gives her pleasure so i'll make an extra effort this year for her to make up.

Does anyone go with colour schemes or is anyone like me, just bung them in cos I like the colours?
Lots of love

Lizzie
jopsy
KG Regular

hi lizzie :D
i'm going for colour too!
don't ask me what ive put in as i had a moment and didnt label them up :oops:
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
lizzie
KG Regular

It's more fun that way Jopsy. Unless it's your veg and that buggars things up a bit. I know, i've done it myself. :roll:

I'm chuffed at the mo cos my Gertrude Jekyll (a beautiful, big, fabulously scented rose) that I thought had died has sprung back to life and has 4 buds on. Can't wait for it to flower.

It doesn't take much to make me happy. A lovely flower, beautiful scents from sweetpeas, Bono in speedos :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
jopsy
KG Regular

I had a lovely vision of your rose then :D
bono in speedos kind of ruined it :shock:
i like the element of surprise in the garden!
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
lizzie
KG Regular

Ok Jopsy, will keep the speedos bit to myself then!!! :shock:

If you try the www.davidaustinroses.com and do a search for Gertrude Jekyll there's a couple of pictures of it. One of my favouties.

Another one is called Osiria. When it opens it is blood red in colour. Then, further down the petal, on the inside of the flower, is cream. It smells of strong apple blossom. Beautiful. The last one I had croaked. I'll buy a new one, one day.
Lots of love

Lizzie
David
KG Regular

Can I put Garden Pearl toms in hanging baskets, they are supposed to be small and good in containers. Or what about those pouch things that you can hang ona wall?

Anybody know?

Thanks

David
sandersj89
KG Moderator

They will be fine in a hanging basket, but best to add a bit of water retaining gel to be on the safe side.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hello David
I grow 'Garden Pearl' in 12 in pots sitting in a large saucer for extra water and they do very well. So I guess a similar size basket would do just as well. Watch the watering though as baskets always seem to dry out much more quickly than pots.

John
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi David

I prefer a hanging basket to the pouch thingies. The pouches are hard to keep watered at the bottom.

It could also be that i've been watering the pouches in the wrong way. I used to put a thinish tube down to the bottom of the compost and water through that, but it still didn't seem enough, even when watered every day.

Perhaps someone else knows better than me.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic