Which gardening books do you recomend ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I thought it might be nice to share what gardening books we find useful and why.

For beginners my offering is....

Growing fruit and veg for dummies Geoff Stebbings.

It is not expensive and very comprehensive in it's coverage, of veg fruit and herbs,pests and diseases, choosing gardening tools, gardening terms, soil improvement etc etc, with clear diagrams, simple, and easy reference.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
freddy
KG Regular

Hi N/B.

For me, that's an easy one, The Vegetable & Herb Expert by Dr D G Hessayon. Very practical and easy to understand, even I can follow it :D

Cheers...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
peter
KG Regular

RHS Vegetable Garden Displayed
RHS Fruit Garden Displayed
RHS Garden Design - Kenneth Midgely

Everything by D G Hessyason.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

Matthew Biggs-Complete Book of Vegetables.
A practical guide to growing the usual and unusual vegetables and there are ideas on how to cook them.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yes the RHS books are good I have those too, mine are probably a bit outdated now I expect they update regularly :oops:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Beryl
KG Regular

Don't think you can beat the Dr D G Hessayon book. I wouldn't be without the Fruit Expert.
Am I right in thinking most gardening books are used as reference books and not actually read till needed? A bit like receipe books.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with the recommendation of Dr Hessyan's books - very useful for quick reference.

I also like 'The Gardener's Year' by Alan Titchmarsh (as, I think, I have said before, I usually avoid books by "celebrities", but this quite hefty volume acts as a reminder of what to do) and Joy Larkcom's 'Grow your own vegetables'.

We own dozens of gardening books, some new and some quite ancient, but it's strange that there are a few favourites to which I return and return.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

We all know the value of healthy soil, so one that someone else recommended to me is next on my list of must have books and hopefully I will get to read it this year ...

Teaming with Microbes Revised Edition - Jeff Lowenfels - Wayne Lewis
By Thomas Huxley
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Yes, I certainly agree with a number of contributors, the Hessayon Veg Expert / Fruit Expert books are first class. One small book I never tire of dipping into is Mr. Smith's Vegetable Garden, by the late Geoffrey Smith. Good, sound, no-nonsense Yorkshire advice.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

My normal reference is "The organic garden book" by Geoff Hamilton. Some of the variety recommendations are a bit dated now, but most of the advice remains sound, and clearly presented. Many of his ideas were well ahead of their time.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I found the Ladybird book of plants quite inspirational, when i was six. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

You started early OH, I did too, it was a family thing we all helped.
By Thomas Huxley
Smurfy
KG Regular

I love the 'Ornamental Kitchen Garden' by Geoff Hamilton. I'm too young to have seen the original series but i really enjoy the book although i have never been 'brave' enough to totally go down the route of no separate veggie beds.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I find mixing flowers and veg helps attract the pollinators Smurfy, I haven't read that but it sounds interesting, is it organic, like Tony's choice ? At the moment we have loads of hoverfllies and bees and butterflies and moths. I saw a silvery white mottled one today but couldn't identify it.
By Thomas Huxley
Smurfy
KG Regular

Yeah it's organic as i think all Geoff Hamiltons books are. It's not in print anymore as far as i'm aware but you can usually find a copy on ebay or amazon or the like.

The final designed garden he did looked amazing and definately has inspired me in the way that i think about my veggie patch although i'm still very much a novice.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic