Miracle veg?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Having watched Torchwood on Thursday I am beginning to think it might be catching - only with veg. My Oregon Sugar Pod Mangetout produced a very good crop - as usual - and I was expecting to dig and compost it. However, it has since romped away again and today I picked as many as when it was at its best. Is flopping all over the place as well and still continuing to flower.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Colin, peas often do this if they have their roots in something they like.
That's why it always pays dividends, to prepare the soil well where the peas are going.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Colin, why not just cut the vines off at soil level and leave the roots in the soil to provide nitrogen for the next crop?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Colin Miles
KG Regular

NB - cut them off? Well possibly yes, if I didn't want any more pods. But I must confess to considerable scepticism regarding how much benefit leaving the roots in actually achieves. I think it can be difficult to plant the subsequent crop - it would have been and may actually be a brassica - in such a way that the roots actually reach the N2. Always sounds like folklore to me.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Great that they are cropping so well, I do think it helps when they are picked regularly, especially with the tall peas. I was meaning after they have finnished cropping, sorry I didn't make that clear
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic