Chicken Manure Pellets

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Like Johnboy, I just topdress the soil with home made compost which has comfrey tossed in it, and let the plants get on with it, which they do very nicely. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:The strange thing is that just about every gardening book says when it comes to Tomatoes "do not feed until the first truss has set."

I can't say I know, but I have always assumed that this is for those of us with low greenhouses, who really want to get the first truss as low as possible, so that you get at least 4 or 5 trusses on the plant before it hits the roof. I also assume that they are meaning additional feeding, with liquid feed, not suggesting that you ration the fertility of the compost you use. In which case my plants would probably not have used up the nutrients in the compost of the final potting on by the time the first truss is in flower.

Of course, if you grow in border soil this would not apply.

I do think that in order to get the first truss low on the plant, light probably makes most difference though.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
I'm afraid I do not agree with your possible explanation because this is information given to total novice gardeners who hardly know anything about greenhouses. It is just very bad information. Over the years we have had several cases where the tomatoes hardly get to the first truss stage due to starvation! (maybe a wee bit of poetic licence!) :wink:
JB.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Well, I like to keep mine moving on so that they never get a check by becoming potbound. A couple of weeks ago on GW Monty was saying it was time to plant out his indoor tomatoes, whilst holding a tray full of yellowing, etiolated plants. Mine at that stage were already half way up their canes ! So, I rarely need to feed before the first truss is set, but granted, if you don't keep them moving on to fresh compost (effectively feeding them), it is probably not good advice.
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Hi..if you live in the west country ..check out Trago Mills, they are the cheapest around for chicken manure pellets, use nothing else and always get good results.
Tigger
KG Regular

For the rest of us - Aldi usually have them in the spring at a bargain price. you have to stock up on them though, as they're a special purchase so are only available once a year there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic