roofing sheds with roofing felt

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Brenjon
KG Regular

Due to wear and tare i have to put new roofing felt on 3 sheds this year ASAP. They have previosly been roofed using felt nails and roofing battons that eventually rot . The wooden roof is T and g and is ony 1/2 an inch thick .Has anyone used the method of fixing it with a bonding material and no nails and is this a good method. I would think that you may need extra help with this method which would you recomend naling or bonding
Advice please
Brenjon
snooky
KG Regular

Evening Brenjon,
The felt on my shed roof has suffered over this Winter and needs to be renewed and I shall be nailing mine on,if bonded,then the next time that it has to be renewed it might be difficult to remove the damaged felt.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Brenjon
KG Regular

Thanks for that answer snooky but at my age if it needs to be repaired again I don't think i will be worrying about it
JohnN
KG Regular

I re-felted my flat summer house roof a few years back. It took two 4ft x 12ft sheets, overlapping along their length, which I fastened down with bitumen bonding. The edges were taken over the edge of the roof and fastened to the sides of the roof with strips of proofed timber 2" x 1/2". Seems to be OK to date!
If your roof is pitched then fasten the edges the same way and overlap at the peak of the roof, with an extra strip on top. If you use nails, make sure that you put some bitumen mastic round the heads.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic