Mixing compost.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have about half a 75 litre bag of Ericaceous compost left over from my blueberries. If I mix it 50/50 with multipurpose is there any reason why I couldn't use it to pot on in the greenhouse,or are there some veggies that would hate it.
Grateful for any advice. Thanks.
Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, mixing 50 50 will lower the ph of the compost to about 5.5, so i wouldn't use it for any of the brassica family.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Many thanks OH.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

With a little sprinkling of ground limestone or similar mixed into the compost mixture I think that it would be fine. If you have any ground dolomite that would be even better as it would provide both calcium and magnesium in one go. Very difficult to give any idea of the amount though.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

No I don't have either of those John. I'm not very chemically minded but I do have Epson salts, isnt that magnesium?

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

A veg grower with no lime to hand in the shed - I'm shocked Beryl!!
Lime is really the one that you need as it would have been left out of an ericaceous mix.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Epsom salts (magnesuim sulphate) is a ... salt, neither acid nor alkali, so won't help. Wood ash would be an option, though perhaps more variable than lime.
Beryl
KG Regular

No John I haven't used lime on the plot for years. Good old horse manure and all my own green waste composted is all I use. So far my brassicas have never failed me.

No wood ash either Tony so maybe I won't risk combining the two composts for potting, just in case.
Thanks for your help.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic