OVERWINTERING BRASSICAS

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

I have had some overwintering brassicas in now since early October, a mixture from Marshalls, they are moving quite slowly, but for instance 'January King's are looking as if they might heart up but will only make a meal from four or five of them. Should I leave them in until I need the space, or give up hope? What chance of them coming to anything, there are some Cauli's too looking as if they might produce a heart.

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Compo, I would say it depends on how much you need the space, if
you have plenty leave them they might improve in time as stuff starts into growth, the same happened to me, last year. Hardy stuff is growing here in sussex. Rhubarb is almost ready to pick, lovage, comfrey, broad beans and peas are growing, chives and land cress too, cane fruit is in early leaf. Next year I intend to tent winter greens under enviromesh, it saved my broad beans from the snow this year and they are now growing well.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
realfood
KG Regular

Everything is late this year after the hard Winter. Even if everything does not heart up, they will produce leaves and shoots for early greens, when there is nothing else. So leave them in.
John
KG Regular

Hello Compo
I don't think that January King will heart up now. They should have been maturing during the early winter with heads ready to cut in January. What they are doing now is putting on some growth so that they can run to flower. I suggest that you cut them over the next few weeks and use them simply as greens as Realfood has said.
As far as the caulis go it all depends on what variety you have. Some varieties do overwinter and head up in the spring.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic