"Guests" to be "read" only

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Should guests be allowed to submit postings on the forum or be restricted to viewing it only

"Guests" should be able to post threads on the forum
18%
"Guests" should be restriced to viewing only
83%

Total votes: 40
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Please everybody who reads this thread, do vote.

I have had a couple of run ins with "guests" who chose to be anonymous to post a nasty thread, attacking members on the forum.

Personally I think that this forum should be open to members only to submit posts and that "guests" and even non logged in members should only ba able to view the forum and not actually post threads or topics, just like most other forums.

Registering is a two minute job, costs nothing and Gives you a name and a little bit of status on the forum. Guests IP addressess can be identified by the KG admin so it doesnt really give you total anonymity anyway.

Please vote
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Bean legs
KG Regular

I totally agree.
Regards

Bean legs
John
KG Regular

I'm with you on this one, Mr Piglet.
Of the few forums that I follow this is the only one that allows 'guests' to contribute. I can't see any benefit.

John
lizzie
KG Regular

Nice one Piglet. On the other forums I go to you have to be registered to post.

I just say what I feel. If people agree or disagree doesn't really matter. We're friendly here mostly anyway so why not put your name to your post?
Lots of love

Lizzie
peter
KG Regular

Spot on Lizzie.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
vivie veg
KG Regular

Also if we forget to log in then the system will make us log in before posting...how many times have we all posted stuff to realize that we've forgotten to log in and so our post has been labelled as guest, so we then log in and say 'The above guest was me!'
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Chez
KG Regular

Just confirming the thoughts of others. I visit a number of forums, none of which allow guests to post.

Although many 'guests' claim 'guest' is no more anonymous than a user name, funny how when they have something controverial to post, their user name is suddenly not nearly anonymous enough and they resort to 'guest'. Actions speak louder than words, I say. Don't you think, David?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I am a "David" but I always use my name when posting, hence the poll.

Your right though Chez, I am sure some members use the "guest" option to lob in caustic comments without being tagged and that it is not just genuine "guests" who do it.

I am sure our Sheriffs could check out the IP addresses of the culprits and match them to members if required. Removing the anonymity of people would remove most of the moderators work and make the whole forum more positive.
Kindest regards Piglet

Chantal
KG Regular

Yes we can check the IPs of guests. No we're not going to be publishing the results! :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Up to now 134 visits have been made to this thread but we have a mere dozen or so votes. Whilst some people will have made multiple visits many people still have not voted.

Please vote so that a true picture is gained from forum users.
Kindest regards Piglet

Zena
KG Regular

I'm very new to this forum so not sure how important my opinion is, but I agree with all the other "posters".I only belong to one other forum & that has separate areas for members and non members(but there is a cost involved). As others have said, joining the KG forum costs nothing and takes seconds so if you're interested enough to post, or read on a regular basis, then why not join?
richard p
KG Regular

zena dont matter how new u are your opinion is as valid as anyones
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I support guest posting....

Once upon a time we were all guests.??..except I suspect we were still all accountable behind the scenes..??!!

I appreciate that "guest" postings can add to sniping if a big fight breaks out...however I have always liked the ability and freedom for a real guest to add a post.

I have noticed on occasion that when folk have posted their first question that they apologise in case it is a silly question...so I summise they are a bit wary of posting on. Thus to come on the board the first time as a Guest in that case is a valuable asset.
Plus we are not all computer whizzes... and I know when I first had one of these wonderful machines I was very wary of signing up for anything.!!...pleased I did though..

All the best,
Clive.
Allan
KG Regular

I'm all for keeping it open to all. I don't know if you have noticed that since the new forum came in,the number of newbies has dropped to just a trickle. People have to start somewhere and it isn't at all obvious how to get the best of this new forum. every guest is potentially a customer for the magazine and without the magazine there wouldn't be a forum.
I also have in mind the number of times my patiently composed contributions have been presented as that of a guest due to the vagaries of the internet totally beyond my control, without the guest statement I would have lost those scripts. I now save most scripts as amatter of course if the line is dodgy.
Come on, think again on this one and help a few newbies on their way. I'm sure that if the "moderators" do their job properly we can cope with any situation arising without an iron curtain.
Allan
Robin
KG Regular

I am on several forums and this is the only one that allows guests to post and the only one that gets not just "sniping" comments but downright nasty ones from supposed "guests".

If you are interested in a site then joining it surely must be beneficial to yourself and to the forum as a whole. I dispute the fact newbies are discouraged, I joined and so have many others recently. I find the caustic guest remarks offensive and find myself going more to the "Grow your own" forum where you have to be a member and these comments just do not happen. Just as a little aside, that forum has a lot more members than this one and its a members only site. Food for thought!
Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic