help in the kitchen

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

raquel
KG Regular

i adore cooking, i just love it but i find i need a good long sunday afternoon to really get my teeth into it. i would love to enjoy cooking int he week mroe but i find myself so pushed for time that i cant get into it and i end up reaching for the pesto and the pasta. anyone got any good mid week quick cooking tips?
raquel
KG Regular

having said this i have just picked up my copy of jamie oliver's new cook book- hitherto unopened but i thought i would look for inspiration. and he seems to use a blender to do all of his chopping for him. i appreciate that this might work for him but does this work for real people? normal cooks not chefs? i mean i struggle to use a slow cooker and thats just one button and no blades, not sure how i would do with a blender.
retropants
KG Regular

I make a curried spinach and chickpea soup in the week, and I don't get home 'til 6 most nights. takes a few mins to prepare and I leave it to simmer for about 30 mins et voila! pm me if you'd like the recipe :)
Primrose
KG Regular

When it comes to "cheating" after a hard day's work, I'm a great fan of those ready baked flan cases. I found that you can switch on the oven to start heating up, and make up a combination of savoury fillings for them with grated cheese, flaked haddock, chopped bacon, butter beans, salami, chorizo. Just cover with whipped egg and bung in the oven for about 20 minutes while some jacket potatoes are cooking in the microwave. .

Whilst we normally like to cook from scratch, I've also found that some of those curried sauces like Pataks can also produce a fairly quick curry served with rice. Poppodums are easy - just cook for about 1 minute on full power in the microwave.
raquel
KG Regular

oo i love the sound of the flan dishes. then it feels like youre coking but the hardest part (the pastry) has been done for you so theres no stress. like that alot.
i did once have a patak curry sauce but it didnt go down well with me, i found it bland, i suppose i can use it as a base and jazz it up a bit cant i. oo lovely idea, thanks.
and the soup sounds delish but i just cant eat soup for dinner, i feel super hungry after and i end up eating four times as much as I would have!! thanks so much though, sounds delish and quite tricky!
Smint
KG Regular

I was going to recommend the Jamie book (although I've not managed to keep any of the recipes to only 30 minutes - I need a sous chef to find all the ingredients for me first!), and I use one called Meals in Minutes which is quite old, but useful! I also get quite a few recipes from magazines - often they're quick

I find it really helps if I plan what I'm going to cook in advance so at least I don't waste a load of time deciding what to have - I can just get on and do it
Primrose
KG Regular

Another of my "quickie favourites" is savoury macaroni, but you do need a non-stick saucepan for this.

While the 10 minute macaoni is boiling, fry in a non stick saucepan a combination of: sliced onions, sliced peppers, chopped celery, chopped bacon, garlic, chopped leeks (or whatever you have that goes well together).

Grate some cheddar cheese. Drain the macaroni. Mix it into the saucepan with the fried vegs, stir in the cheese and a dollop of tomato purree or tomato sauce. If you want some extra colour, throw in a handful of frozen peas into the macaoni cooking water for a couple of minutes to let them thaw through..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic