Cooking with wine

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

More of a query than a tip:

I often use wine in my meat cooking, like slow cooking venison steaks in red wine or chicken breasts in white wine. Over the cooking period, much of the wine evaporates and has to be topped up. So what happens to the calories from the alcohol? Do they evaporate with the alcohol or do they become more and more concentrated in the remaining liquid?

Just interested to know, in my drive to consume fewer calories!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Monika, I suspect the calories get more and more concentrated as it will be mainly the water content that evaporates out. Perhaps we have an expert who can tell us.

I'm on the diet wave length now too, another 5 lb to lose on top of the one and a half stone I wanted to lose before Christmas - oh heck! Still got some lovely Christmas cake to finish off first though.
peter
KG Regular

Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, so will evaporate (boil out) before the other constituents of the wine.
The energy value of the alcohol (calories) will of course leave with the alcohol.
Any sugars, tannins etc will remain in the cooked dish, though the heat may transform them or combine them with other ingredients.
Watch a chef add spirits to a hot dish and see the burst of flames over the pan, there goes most of the alcohol. ;)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, PP and Peter. I am hoping Peter is right!
pongeroon
KG Regular

I don't think there are any calories in alcohol (or cake or chocolate) because no matter how closely I look, I've never seen any...
Catherine
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pongeroon I think they are called empty calories.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Ah, they must be transparent then, thats why I can't see them. Shame. :(
Primrose
KG Regular

On another front, I once wondered whether I was morally right to offer a Beef caserole which contained red wine to a visitor whose religion forbade alcohol. I kept my lips zipped on the basis that as alcohol evaporated, it would be OK, whereas to offer a sherry trifle where the alcohol doesn't evaporate, would not be.

I'm trying to have a No Alcohol January as well as dieting, but I've decided that putting wine into cooking definitely doesn't count :lol: Interesting discussion.
Chantal
KG Regular

We had someone at work who wouldn't drink alcohol for religious reasons and thus refused any casserole which had so much as sniffed alcohol. On one occasion, at a restaurant he wanted the fish in beer batter without the beer. He was politely told he'd have to eat something else. :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Andria, could you put an extra portion on for me the next time you cook this? ;)
Daphne
KG Regular

Wow, you only use one glass? When I cook, I usually use 2 to 2 1/2 glasses of wine (although I tend to cook for more than 3 people ;) )

I have a question, though, should I be using "organic" wine, I've heard it's better and healthier. I just find it hard to believe, hehe :evil:
alan refail
KG Regular

Daphne wrote:I have a question, though, should I be using "organic" wine, I've heard it's better and healthier. I just find it hard to believe, hehe :evil:

Not a ha'porth of difference
:wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alexhepgurn
KG Regular

Not for callories or something but taste does matter. Cooking with wine gives a better taste. I just love cooking with wine. I use it for veg and Non-veg both.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Very important when cooking with wine to ensure the glass stays within easy reach.

However keep the bottle out of sight, or it's possible to lose interest in cooking altogether & just end up dialling up a pizza delivery :(
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you, Colin M, your advice was followed this morning when I cooked lamb in white wine (first English lamb of the season!) and had a SMALL glass whilst slaving over the stove - honestly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic