Seeds, take your time to read the small print.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I purchased some brussel sprout cronus from unwins gro sure range and started to plant them today, I chose that particular pack because they were recommended for a christmas harvest, it did not say F1 on the front of the pack. On opening the pack I found ten small blue coated seeds. At £2.99 per pack I expected more seeds than ten, well they are planted now. On reading the small print on the back of the pack it did say F1 which might explain a slightly higher price, but brassicas produce huge amounts of seed and I felt I had been robbed, at the bottom of the small print on the back of the packet it did say approximately ten seeds in the packet. I feel if they are going to price their seeds like gold then they should have the guts to put that information on the front of the pack so the customer is aware of what they get for their money when purchasing. I tried ringing unwins to complain and after hanging on the line in a queue for ages got cut off three times, which added to my phone bill, I finally I got through on the sales line to complain that the complaints line wasn't working and asked to speak to a manager, none available as it was a secondary call centre so she emailed unwins and I am waiting for a reply. Whew ... in future I will read the small print very carefully! i can't wait to see if all ten germinate! :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Geoff
KG Regular

Wallis Seeds, Brussels Sprouts, Cronus F1, club root resistance mid-season with smooth quality buttons, seed count 40, £1.60
John Walker
KG Regular

@Nature's Babe

With Gro-sure seeds you also need to check whether the seeds (vegetable in particular) have been treated with chemical fungicide, so it's well worth taking your magnifying glass to the packet.

This information is in very small print, and they are extremely unforthcoming on their web site about chemical seed treatments. Funny that :wink:

Some other Gro-sure seeds have coatings which just make them easier to handle.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

hi Geoff, first time I bought those gro sure seeds, I just picked up a pack in the supermarket thinking mid season and christmas was good timing for cropping, they won't catch me a second time!
hi John, not my cup of tea at all, please wash your hands after handling ten minute seeds does not inspire my confidence, whatever do they put on them?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Catherine
KG Regular

I bought some Black Eyed Susan seeds (cant remember who's) it said approx 15 seeds (when I got round to reading the small print) I got 25 :shock: for £2.99. In Gordon Riggs Garden Centre yesterday ONE black eyed susan plant cost £2.99. I think that makes a very expensive plant. As you do need more than one plant and they only last one season. I wanted the yellow or orange plants but can only find the sunset mixed seeds.
alan refail
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:It did not say F1 on the front of the pack. On opening the pack I found ten small blue coated seeds. At £2.99 per pack I expected more seeds than ten.

Is this the packet?

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Catherine, you have my sympathies, I will stick to the companies that give value for money.
By Thomas Huxley
Compo
KG Regular

Tuckers, Moles and King's seeds all reliable and cheap and in large quantities, tuckers come with an excellent resealable bag which is v useful for small quantity growers such as kitchen gardeners and allotmenteers....

ComPo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
feutty
KG Regular

Caught out the same by T&M 5 seeds of Lossetta toms £2.99 as you say be careful. Ps. have had 4 germinate.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Compo, yes good suppliers, I also like The Real seed company,( also resealable packs with seed saving guidance }, organic gardening catalogue and seeds of italy. :)

Hi feutty, that's 50p per plant plus your valuable time and cost of seed compost, lol no more impulse buys for me either, :D
Last edited by Nature's Babe on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Thomas Huxley
snooky
KG Regular

Unwins "Grosure" seeds are covered in Thiram, a fungicide used to stop rotting in cold wet conditions.Such a small amount will probably dissipate before the plant is mature so safe to eat.

However, those who want to eat strictly "organic" produce probably would prefer untreated seeds.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic