Another potato question

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I've just been helping to bag up our potato order for the allotment Assoc.
and came acros one I hadn't heard of before Yukon Gold. As there was 4 tubers left over I brought them home to try.

Can't find out very much about them except they are main crop, yellow flesh and waxy. Orginally from America.

Has anyone tried them before? if so I would be interested to hear what you thought of them.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Beryl
Alan Romans describes it as a bold, yellow baker with a buttery taste, also fries well (and roasts well I suppose). He says it's a second early.
This site has lots of potato info. -

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_ ... kon%20Gold

Never grown it though but seems to be a good variety, especially if you like bakers.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks John, Very interesting. I do like a good baker and it sounds as though the plants although might be a bit tall will have very pretty flowers. I shall lkook foward to it.

As always I've come home with far to many tubers than I can possibly eat but I have some very good neighbours that will always welcome my surplus.

Thaks again
Beryl.
Granny
KG Regular

I've just bought a new variety to me - Cabernet. I can't find it on any websites - in fact when I typed in 'potato variety + Cabernet' I got recipes on potatoes with Cabernet Sauvignon!

There was no information on the advertising card where I bought them.

Has anyone else heard of this variety?
-----------------------

Granny
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Granny

According to the Potato Council there is no such variety.

Could it be an error for Cabaret?

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_ ... me=Cabaret
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Yukon Gold makes good sized, yellow, very nice tasting baking potatoes, but is quite low yielding. Well worth growing though. It certainly isn't a waxy potato. I think I got mine from Alan Romans.

I've not tried the other whatever the spelling so can't help on that.
Beryl
KG Regular

I'm sure there will be enough for me to try Plumpudding - thanks.

eryl.
Granny
KG Regular

Alan, I think you could well be right. I'd tried the potato council and saw Cabaret and didn't connect. Well spotted! My ones look just like the photo - very oval, even shape and size, yellow skins etc. I can just imagine someone from the suppliers saying the name to the printers over the phone and them mishearing.

Thanks a lot.
----------------------
Granny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic