Reached the top...

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Urban Fox
KG Regular

I have been on the waiting list for three years - and finally I've reached the top ;-)

I got a call saying I can have an allotment. Well to be accurate half a plot. I'm chuffed to bits. This is a great time of year to find out as it gives me some time to plan.

Next week I'm meeting up with one of the committee to have a look at the plot. There is actually more than one available and I can choose.

If one of them is near a tap I assume I should go for that? But what else should I consider.

what questions should I ask?

thanks for your help.

Christina
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Christina, now this is a question you should get a lot of replies for.

A couple of things i would look out for would be,

A plot that is not covered with perrenial weeds, if possible.

And also try and meet your allotment neighbours, or at least ask about them, there would be nothing worse than having a miserable neighbour with a weedy plot.

Forgot to say, congratulations, i still remenber that excitment when i first took on an allotment. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Christina,

Congratulations :D It's a wonderful feeling isn't it.
As you have a choice, it's worth looking for one that has been used recently. As OH said earlier, one without perennial weeds or a grumpy neighbour would be an advantage. Also things like whether there is a shed already there.
Yes, being near to a water supply is important, or you may find that your arms get longer as the summer progresses :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
freddy
KG Regular

Hi there. I think my main priority WOULD be the location of the water point. It can be a right pain carting water around, especially during a dry summer.

Cheers...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just thought of another couple of points Christina,

Ask if you are allowed a shed or a greenhouse, or what restrictions there are.

A plot that is not shaded by trees or buildings.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Christina, how exciting for you, happy gardening ! Couch grass, bindweed and horsetail are persistent weeds to avoid. Annual weeds can be dealt with easily overwinter by the lasagna method.
Look for the benefits on a plot too, sunny rather than shaded, is there an asparagus bed or fruit bushes? Low lying might be prone to waterlogging.
Wishing you good fortune with your choice :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
glallotments
KG Regular

Most points have been covered. You are lucky to have a choice on our site - it's just a matter of luck as plots are allocated one they become vacant.

The shade advice is quite important - one side of our side is shaded by a huge row of conifers which means that in winter the ground can remain frozen all day. It also takes longer to dry out after lots of rain and is a bit disheartening for people who pop to the plot on a sunny winter's day to find that one half of the plot are enjoying work in the sun whilst they are frozen in the shade.

A plot high in perennial weeds is hard work although ours started of this way and has proved very fertile - a weedless plot may be the result of an efficient previous gardener or just worn out soil.

The closeness of a tap is imporatnt too.

If the plot has been vacant a while stay clear of any plot that has old carpet spread over parts of it as often when you try and move it - it will disintegrate or it will be just so heavy with weeds growing through it.

We inherited some fruit bushes on our plot which have been great as you don't have to wait for them to reach maturity as you would newly planted ones.

On our site hens etc are only allowed on some plots so if you want to keep them ask if it is allowed.

Hope you have a successful introduction to this grow your own bug!!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Here is a link to the lasagna gardening I mentioned, a wonderful way to condition a weedy plot without too much effort, mow the weeds down, use whatever you can find, leaves, kitchen waste, seaweed, manure, apple pulp, straw newspaper cardboard etc, the worms will do a lovely job of aerating the soil for you through the winter, and you should be able to plant in spring. :D

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/l ... ening.html

check your source of manure some have a herbicide that can affect your plants.
That was good advice to avoid carpet many contain flame repellant which is a toxic chemical, my husband once tried to bonfire some, while I was out, despite my warnings of the dangers, and had the fire officer down on him like a ton of bricks because of the toxic emissions !!!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Urban Fox
KG Regular

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

I'm pretty sure a shed or greenhouse will be allowed because there are plots that already have them. you can see them here http://bit.ly/cnT1y3

The whole site has a chain link fence with thick hedgerow around 3 sides. There is a padlock on the gates - so I'm hoping security is pretty good.

I'm hoping the soil is in reasonable condition. The site has been allotments since 1832 and the surrounding area was orchards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ealing

I can only hope the previous tenant left me something in reasonable condition. ;-)

I get to see the plot on Friday - so, I let you know how I get on - and I'm sure I'll be back for more advice.

Once again many thanks

Christina
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Christina, thank you for the link, that's an interesting history to your allotments. :)
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

It looks like a very large site - Good Luck with it.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Gallotments I may be wrong but I think there are regulations on the height of trees affecting other gardens, you could check it out. Or try a friendly request explaining how it affects you all and ask them to top them perhaps?
By Thomas Huxley
peter
KG Regular

The regulations are for hedges not trees.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

thank you Peter, I wasn't quite sure, I wonder how they resolve it when a hedge with hawthorn in it is neglected and grows into a tree.
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Gallotments I may be wrong but I think there are regulations on the height of trees affecting other gardens, you could check it out. Or try a friendly request explaining how it affects you all and ask them to top them perhaps?

We have tried for years to get the allotments officer to go and talk to the owner of the land - it's no use any of us going as the owner isn't the sort to respond to a friendly request. Our allotments officer says that he can't do anything as the allotment isn't a private garden? Apparently this is supposed to mean that the trees can grow a high as the owner wants. To be honest our allotments officer is one for an easy life so I guess this is a cop out!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic