Squash

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

This may be an impossible question to ask but here goes?

Is there any type of squash you can grow inside. I live in the far north of Scotland (any further and I would get very wet :D ). So I can't grow them outside, but I would like to try inside? Also can you grow them up, or not.

Beryl
KG Regular

I would have thought they will grow under the protection of a poly tunnel or something similiar and yes, they do grow up. They will ramble over almost anything hedges or the like. Mine this year have been fantastic and have reached my asparagus bed and now scrambling across the top of the fern.
So far I have cut 16 butternut with loads more to come. Although the fruits are heavy the vines support them without any problem. Well worth a try. If you do have a go let us know you get on.

Beryl.
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,

Ta very much, shall give it a go. Do you know of a small growing variety. In my haste to ask loads of questions I neglected to say I will be growing it inside my front porch. :lol:

Although it may prevent unwanted visitors :lol:
Beryl
KG Regular

Now you have stumped me. I didn't think you were thinking of a porch.
Most squash are quite vigarious plants even if the fruits are small. Think I am going to leave this one open and hope someone else can help. To small a space and confined area you might have trouble with air cirulation which would create mildew.

Beryl.
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Thanks Beryl,

Never mind. Can anyone else think of anything else I could try. The porch in question is capable of holding (on the shelf) 18 tomato plants? :)
realfood
KG Regular

Are we talking about Summer Squash or Winter Squash? I think that you could grow any of the Summer Squashes in you porch, although I think that they would also do outside in a sheltered sunny spot. Most of the Winter Squash are ramblers for up to 4 metres, which would rather swamp your porch. I am growing a small bush one outside in Glasgow this year, but I will need to check the label for the name.
Are you up near Wick?
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi realfood

Yip am 17 miles away from Wick. Did not realise you could get winter squashes. Or bush ones! which one did you grow?
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Hi again realfood

Sorry for last message. Was distracted by a question aboutStar Wars form my 5 yearold :lol:
Marge
KG Regular

For the second year I have had no luck with squashes or pumpkins :(

I just don't know where am I going wrong! The seeds germinate fine and then the subsequent plants look healthy, but the problem is the fruits either rot off (whether I put straw down or not), or I end up with all male flowers.

Does anyone have any advice so that I can either start some winter squashes this year or try and make sure I am more successful next year? Many thanks :)
Reine de la cocina
realfood
KG Regular

Summer squash include courgettes, patti pan type squashes. Winter squash are grown in the summer and stored for winter use. I will need to go up to my allotment to read the label of the bush one.
realfood
KG Regular

Fair Weather, check my www > veges PE-W > Winter Squash for details of some of the varieties that I have grown in Glasgow.
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Ta very much realfood, will have a look. Thanks for clearing up the winter summer dilema :)

Marge, I had a problem with my courgette this year roting off at the end where the flower was. I had two plants so experimented with one leaving it, and the other as soon as the flower opened I snapped it off carefully. So far there have stopped rotting on the latter plant. Hope this helps a bit :)
Marge
KG Regular

thanks FW I shall remember than for next year :)
Reine de la cocina
Primrose
KG Regular

I think two of the smaller winter squashes which might suit your need for small fruit are either Sweet Dumpling (cream skin with green stripes) or Harlequin (yellowish skin with stripes). Both are roughly the size of large grapefruits and have the flavour of sweet baked chestnuts when baked. They do ramble though and I suspect you would need a very well manured large container with sufficient root space to grow them successfully in a large porch.
Fair Weather 33
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose

I shall certainly give one of them a go. Nearly every year I have a go at something different. Last year it was sweetcorn. But unfortunatly the frons at the top shed their polen before the cobs were ready for them. Probably a problem with it being too hot. The porch faces South East, and gets the sun all day. Also have tried peas. They grew very well, but never made it to the pot (far too tasty :D ).

Also because I have 2 small boys (5 and 2) I like to change it every year (with the exception of toms :!: :lol: ), so they have something they can look after on the rainy/windy days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic